Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reloading Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have a VPR Matrix 220-A5 laptop, running XP. It's about 6 years old, and I have loved the machine so far...until it started running really slow.

So I had what I believed to be a virus, so I did as I was told by someone who should know what they are talking about. I started my machine in safe mode, took all of the files I wanted saved off and put them on my husband's machine, and popped in the restore CD. All is well, right? NO! It got to about 20% and the machine shut down. I tried running the CD several more times, and it did the same thing. Since my battery no longer charges, and I have a replacement power cord, I'm wondering if one of them could be the issue. I don't really want to bring it in anywhere and pay someone to tell me it's a lost cause, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

:thumbsup: Melinda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hi Melinda ,my first suspicion here is a failing hard drive, though I am not certain. I cannot find the hard drive manufacturer for this, so you can run their diagnostic utility.
If you can locate that info post it. Perhaps someone else will come along that knows.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

As boopme stated already it could be a failing hard drive.

But I have a question for you: When it is in the middle of the restore and it shuts down.... is it at the same point in the restore and is the laptop very HOT to the touch when it shuts down?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for your thoughts...

I don't know that I'll be able to fix the failing hard drive, if that's the issue. VPR Matrix was a brand exclusive to Best Buy, and when I call customer support, no one there has ever heard of it. I believe I have what was the last model they ever made, and their website looks the same as the day I bought it. I can't do anything with it now, because what did run from the restore CD removed the operating system, and I'm not sure what do do when I turn the machine on.

With regard to the temperature of the machine: It is not overheating. In fact, I waited a day before running the CD again, and it shut down within a few mintues, and it was barely warm to the touch.

I'm thinking it's a lost cause, but I'm bringing it to Geek Squad for a "free consultation" where I'm sure they'll just tell me they want to run some diagnostics on it, charge me a ridiculous amount of money, and then say it's dead. :thumbsup: Might be time for a new one.

Thanks for your help!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

Well for what it's wirth there were ,external harddrives available and compatible to yours.. Was that the Gig drive on yours?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

So I went to Geek Squad...they figured either the motherboard or the hard drive is fried. They want $70 to run a diagnositc on it, and said it's not worth fixing if it's the motherboard, and could replace the hard drive pretty easily for around $100 + installation of software. My husband has a friend at work who's going to do some exploratory surgery on it, so we'll see what happens. I don't feel like spending the money for someone to tell me something I could find out for nothing.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

thanks for telling us.. It's not to hard to change the hard drive..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users