Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kgavelda

kgavelda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Alright so I got myself into a mess with my laptop. It is a Gateway M-1625 That runs Vista Home Premium with SP1. I've had it for over a year. It all started with a virus, I ran my virus protection to get rid of it and I guess that didn't work. I restarted my computer and it would let me use it for 2 or 3 minutes before it displayed a blue screen and crashed. I attempted a system restore but for some reason there were no restore points. I was able to find the hidden recovery program in the computer and started it but it froze in the middle and crashed. When it rebooted it displayed the message 'bootmgr is missing'. I went online and downloaded the recovery disc from neosmart (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/). Attempted to fix it that way but my computer cannot find any operating system. Also there are low beeps when I attempt to repair it.

So now I have no idea what to do next. I'm not concerned about my personal files, I just want my computer to work even if everything is deleted. I have no Vista installation disc or recovery disc aside from what I downloaded. And my computer knowledge isn't the greatest (obviously) so please help in any way you can. I really don't want to go spend a ton of money to get it fixed. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Man, I hate to say it, but I would spend the $109 for a copy of OEM Vista Home Premium. The benefit of this one I linked is that is comes with a free coupon to upgrade it to Win7 when it is released.

If you take it to a shop, they will charge you more than that to "fix" it. What they will do is use an OEM copy that they have and re-install it using the keycode on your computer. You still won't have a disc if something happens again, and I'd bet they will charge you more than the $109.

First download a copy of a "disc nuker. " I use Heidi.IE (I know you'll have to use someone else's computer, but it will let you make a boot disc). I think most people use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). Insert the bootable floppy in your floppy drive and let it run. It will erase everything on your hard drive and let you start over. Then install your Vista.

Remember, OEM means there is no free Micro Soft support, but their support is crap anyway. You are better off coming here and asking questions than asking Varkeneeth in Bangladesh, I mean calling MS customer technical (non)support.

Edited by DeathStalker, 30 June 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#3 kgavelda

kgavelda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I will attempt this and let you know. So if I nuke my computer and reinstall windows it will work for sure right? I don't want to risk damaging my computer anymore, especially if I am shelling out 110 dollars. Thanks again for your help!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello kgavelda,

Before shelling out that huge amount of money, I'd contact your computer manufacturer and explain the situation. They should provide you discs you can use to reinstall the system.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users