Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install heatsink fan help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Roah

Roah

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

I seem to be having trouble installing the heatsink fan onto the CPU. For some reason when I clip it on one side, I can't clip the other side because it doesn't reach. I tried to force it to clip but I'm afraid I might damage some components.
Any suggestions/help?

P.S. Its an AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU that also comes with the heatsink fan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure the Mobo is the right kind for an AMD chip? Also, if it's an after market cooler, it probably comes with an adapter for AMD, make sure it's on.

#3 Roah

Roah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm sure it is. Well my mobo is GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard and the CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Also, make sure the processor was seated all the way into the socket, before it was locked in.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Roah

Roah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

yeah I did that also

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Since it's an AMD board, and a factory heatsink/fan, it should work.
It will be a tight fit, but it should fit.
Attach the side opposite the latch first, then the latch side.
Once you go to latch it, it will also be hard.
Has to be tight, to properly do it's job.

If you still have problems, could you post some closeup pics?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 Roah

Roah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Maybe I just have to force the clips to lock onto it but I'm afraid I might damage or break the CPU.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

The builder in the video in the link below has a little trouble, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkyYHSRQYUI...feature=channel

I have seen mentioned here in this forum how much gook to use between the
cpu and fan. This isn't what I would call a "thin" layer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

This isn't what I would call a "thin" layer.

About the size of a 1/2 grain of rice
Instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html

With the 4 AMD builds I've done, I find it easier mounting the heatsink with the motherboard outside of the computer, on the tabletop. The stock clamps do take a fair amount of pressure to clip on

Edited by garmanma, 30 June 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Roah

Roah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

I'm having trouble trying to clip this thing. It seems like theres no way this thing can clip. Heres the picture although I apologize for the really bad quality. Posted Image

The clip is pretty close to the bracket but the metal is pretty tough to push down.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

Can't tell much, from the photo.
You did take off the protective plastic cover, on the bottom of the heatsink, right?

#12 Roah

Roah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

There was no plastic cover on the bottom nor was there any thermal paste pre-applied on it. Luckily I bought an Arctic Silver thermal grease.

#13 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

AMD heatsinks are renown for being extremnely tight ft in my experience. You will have to use a tool to "lever" it down and clip it in place, but make sure the lever arm is at its loesest setting first, also if you use a screw driver to force it down, ensure its a snug fit into the clip to avoid slipping and damaging the motherboard.

But this is common and a little careful elbow grease will get you sorted!

Another thing to check is the other side is perfectly seated and not hugging the clip edge (this sometimes happens then suddenly jolts off when you least expect it :thumbsup:: )

High500

#14 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

the clip in the photo looks to be the opposite side from the latch. put that one on first. the latch will have some give to it (especialy if it's in the open position) and you should be able ot fiddle with it to make it hook on.

stock amd heatsink clips should be able to seat themselves onto the hooks for the heatsink without much trouble (if the latch is set to the open position, giving you the most leeway possible) there's really no reason why it shouldn't fit on there. if you have to bend the clips/crossbar to much to clip it on, you're doing something wrong or the heatsink doesn't fit properly.

*make sure you first seat the side opposite from the latch

*make sure the latch is in the open position

the latch should be able to be tilted ( such as / \ to hook on)

try this site for video walkthrough straight from AMD http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Support/0,,238_251_6244,00.html

#15 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

Actually looking at that image it sounds like you are right case.bolt. Looks like you have attached the wrong side first to the socket Roah. Nice link too!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users