Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth it? Need a few opinions on new pc fears.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo Wolfe

Angelo Wolfe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well, I might as well start off by saying hello and nice to meet you all (being this is my first post and what-not!). Glad to find a forum that maybe I can put my youthful years of pc tinkering to use. :blink:

I'm entering my second year in college, and I'm facing a little "gaming" issue. A year ago I bought a laptop for school, being:

HP Pavilion dv2700 Notebook PC,
AMD Turion 64 X@ TL-62 (2.20 GHz) Processor,
4.00 GB Ram,
64-bit Operating system,
Windows Vista Home Premium

It's a fantastic laptop, and has taken care of all of my school needs, and it's been nice having a mobile PC! At low settings, I've been able to handle WoW, EQ2, WC3, and a few other pc games pretty well. However, I recently purchased The Sims 3 and Fallout 3, and both lag out on the lowest settings set. I'm really interested in buying a new desktop computer to start gaming again, but have a huge fear of wasting money on a comp I don't need / isn't going to handle max or medium settings on new and upcoming games. The PC I'm imagining consists of:

AMD Phenom II x4 9.55 (3.2 GHZ) Processor,
4 GB DDR3 Ram,
1 TB Hard Drive,
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics card,
700 Watt Power Supply,
Windows Vista Home Premium

I was looking to stay in a $1000 range, which i can with these components. Do the specs look sufficient enough for a decent system?

Thanks in advance! :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

You didn't specify a Mobo but why get the DDR3 RAM? The performance difference between it and DDR2 is laughable but the price difference isn't. I think you can get 8GB's of good DDR2 (800 MHz) for the same price as 4 GB's of DDR3. All and all, you can build a system to play any game out today for under a grand. Make sure you get a GOOD PSU and HDD.

Here is a good guide with current prices to check out. If you get to the bottom, you will see several systems priced out. The prices are from Newegg and are about a month old so they may have gone down a tad.

Edited by DeathStalker, 30 June 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#3 Angelo Wolfe

Angelo Wolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

You didn't specify a Mobo but why get the DDR3 RAM? The performance difference between it and DDR2 is laughable but the price difference isn't. I think you can get 8GB's of good DDR2 (800 MHz) for the same price as 4 GB's of DDR3. All and all, you can build a system to play any game out today for under a grand. Make sure you get a GOOD PSU and HDD.

Here is a good guide with current prices to check out. If you get to the bottom, you will see several systems priced out. The prices are from Newegg and are about a month old so they may have gone down a tad.

Perfect! Just what I needed, and the guide helped out quite a bit. The DDR3 was a deal I found with getting a bundle with the Graphics Card, was looking at getting two more 2gb sticks to have 8 gigs, but if it really isn't that big of a difference, it would cut about 80$ at least.

As for Mobos, I've always stuck with Asus, and the one I was looking at was:

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 AMD 790GX CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well I was "re-educated" (lol) yesterday on the price of DDR3 on a different thread. DJBPACE07 posted this link for 4 GB's of 1600MHz DDR3 for $64.99. I hadn't realized DDR3 had dropped so much. Heck that cheap I have to take back what I said a post above about DDR3 RAM.

But then reading what you wrote above, for 8 GB's it would be 80 bucks, and that IS significant lol. I really don't think there is a difference that you or I could notice TBH. I have 8GB's of DDR3 1333 and I never use more than about 45% (according to the Logitech Performance monitor on my G15). I wish I had "met" the guy who wrote that guide I posted before I built my machine. I would have saved at least 1500 and still had a rig that will let me game at max. I guess it's up to you if you want to spend the extra or not. Also I didn't look up your MoBo to see if it is ddr3 ONLY or DDR3 capable (meaning you can use DDR2 or DDR3).

What kind of case are you looking at? Make sure you get one with good airflow and preferably plenty of fans. I used an ANTEC 900, mainly because it was on sale for $59.00. i didn't know anything about cases or any other hardware at the time but that is one hell of a deal lol. It's a nice case, with lots of fans, but was really hard to build in for me. I have a 790i Ultra and the place to plug in the power/reset and jacks for the front audio plugs (microphone/headset) is at the rear of the board. The leads on the case just BARELY made it. By the time I put 2 9800GX2's in, there was room for my DVD and two HDD's and that's it. If I add anything else, I have to get a new case. Forget "neat" cable management. Even with a Thermaltake PSU that has detachable cords, (as opposed to a permanently attached wiring harness) I have to run power cables where I can, not where I want. But as cheap as it was I won't complain lol. While Newegg is usually cheaper, if you have a Fry's store near you, zip in and see what cases they have on sale. Sometimes they just order too many and blow them out for dirt cheap.

Edited by DeathStalker, 01 July 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#5 snkzato1

snkzato1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to state that as a fellow college student You may want to hold on building any expensive computing equipment. I dig PC gaming as well, but I've had to shelf my hobby (my current tower is from '05) because there are more pressing things to finance.

#6 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

I'd like to state that as a fellow college student You may want to hold on building any expensive computing equipment. I dig PC gaming as well, but I've had to shelf my hobby (my current tower is from '05) because there are more pressing things to finance.

I agree with you too snkzato1. The computer you want to get there is awesome though ;)Posted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#7 snkzato1

snkzato1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I agree with you too snkzato1. The computer you want to get there is awesome though ;)Posted Image

Yes it does, and I was planning on buying/building a new PC this summer, but decided it was better to not worry about rent payments and eating healthy instead. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users