Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Disabling Auto-Run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JR_White

JR_White

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi folks -

How will disabling auto-run affect WinXP picking up my external hard drives when I plug the USB cable in?

Will windows still automatically pick them up and show the drives available in windows explorer? Or will I have to do something extra after plugging them in?

Typically, after plugging them in, I see a box come up that shows the drive running through (reviewing) all the files. I usually just hit cancel. After that, I see another box come up with several options. I just choose to open the drive in a folder-view and see the drive show up in explorer.

Will disabling auto-run simply stop this process from launching and just show the available drive ready to use?

Thanks.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Disabling autorun/autoplay does not prevent you from accessing your media sources. They are still available by opening My Computer and accessing the source drive (CD, DVD, USB or external hard drive). Pictures on a camera can still be accessed through My Pictures and selecting "Get Pictures" from a scanner or camera. Media can be accessed via the program you normally use it with such as music CDs via Media Player, blank CDs via burning software, image handling software provided with the camera. We strongly recommend you leave the autorun feature disabled and get into the habit of accessing your media devices manually.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Disabling Autorun will make Windows NOT detect any newly inserted drives like USB drives.

Instead, you should use Panda USB Vaccine which would disable Windows to run any autorun script (Autorun.inf) when a new drive is inserted. When you use Panda USB Vaccine, the drive folder pops up when you insert a new drive, instead of autorun script being run.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

Disabling Autorun will make Windows NOT detect any newly inserted drives like USB drives.

Incorrect.
Windows has no problem detecting my flash drives.
I plug them in, go to My Computer, and there they are.
It detects them, and my external USB harddrive, with no problems.

I disabled autorun using Flash_Disinfector, by sUBs.

As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that
was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file
from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Direct download:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/s...Disinfector.exe

To run it:

* Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.

* The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.

* Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.

* Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.

* Reboot your computer when done.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Sorry I did not mean Windows won't access them, I meant Windows wont autoplay them. In other words, when you insert new drive, nothing would appear to happen and you will have to open it through My Computer. No folder would pop up. Atleast this happens on my PC.

#6 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

I think most users disable Auto run and rely on XP to find and splash the screen when a CD/DVD or USB (ect.) is inserted/used. I agree with Garmanma, using the root dir (no matter how you access it) to access devices/drives/folders/files is a good habit to get into. It's a very solid system that's been tested by time and fortunately MS hasn't messed to much with it.
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#7 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input. It's a big help!

Take care,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users