Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 3.5 Released

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi I posted this here because I don't think I can post it in the News Section, it says "for designated staff members", so anyway...

The next major update to Firefox, 3.5, download link here - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html was released by Mozilla around midday (My time) by the looks of it since some reports were out as early as 4am Pacific time, anyway the link for the Mozilla Press Release - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/mozilla-2009-06-30.html

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIF. – June 30, 2009 – Mozilla, a public-benefit organization dedicated to promoting choice and innovation on the Internet, today released Firefox® 3.5, a major update to its popular, free and open source Web browser. Coming one year after the launch of the critically acclaimed Firefox 3, Firefox 3.5 introduces cutting-edge features, as well as new support for a wide variety of Web standards.

Firefox 3.5 is the best performing browser Mozilla has ever released and delivers radically improved JavaScript performance, a new Private Browsing mode, native support for open video and audio, and Location Aware Browsing. The newest version of Firefox is more than two times faster than Firefox 3 and ten times faster than Firefox 2 on complex websites. With extensive under-the-hood work to support new technologies, Firefox 3.5 is the most powerful and complete modern browser and helps upgrade the Web experience.

Found out about an hour ago and installed it, I'll not see much of a difference because I've been using it since Beta 2 and through the 3 RC's as well, so I've just seen small differences in speed and stability, just wondered has anyone else updated to it directly from 3.0.11 and not used the Betas or RCs do you think there is a big improvement like the "two times faster than Firefox 3" being mentioned by Mozilla?

Here is a review posted on CNET at 4am Pacific Time, I haven't read through it all just skimmed through it - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10275396-2.html

And another News Article here that lists some of the features included in the new version of Firefox - http://www.pcworld.com/article/167065/what...firefox_35.html

Mozilla today released Firefox 3.5, which you can download from Mozilla's Web site. Firefox 3.5 boasts a number of significant changes--ranging from new ways to work with the browser features to under-the-hood improvements that Mozilla developers say will make the browser more than twice as fast as Firefox 3. Here are some of the new features you'll find in Firefox 3.5.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. I've just downloaded this and the first thing I saw was the much-needed new tab button. (Now my mom won't have to ask me how to open a new tab :thumbsup: ). The tear-off tabs are pretty cool, too.

I also like how I can tell Firefox to forget about some sites. Now I can tell it to forget about some of the Newegg pages.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Yep the tear off tabs is a nice feature.

I also like how I can tell Firefox to forget about some sites. Now I can tell it to forget about some of the Newegg pages.

Hmmm..... You sure it's only Newegg pages your hiding? :flowers: :thumbsup: :inlove: (Sorry had to say this you left it wide open :cool:)

The Private Browsing Feature works better though doesn't remember anything you visit, so you don't have to search or clear the history to hide your tracks :trumpet:

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

Why did I not get any update notification when using Firefox 3.0.11? :thumbsup:
I think it notices only minor updates.

I am downloading 3.5 anyway. Thanks for letting everyone know of 3.5 release.

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Yeah it didn't pick up the update in my Firefox 3.0.11 (It installs the Betas and RCs separately that I had been using), I went checking to see if it was out since Mozilla said it would be out sometime around yesterday and found those that I linked, I had to install 3.5 in it's own directory instead of the usual directory so I had 2 then along with the pre builds of 3.5.1 (Shiretoko) and 3.6 (Minefield) and then remove 3.0.11. It's the main reason I posted this to see if anyone had realised and no problem at all :thumbsup: , I do wonder though has everyone else had the same problem where it wouldn't detect the update in 3.0.11?

Edited by woodyblade, 01 July 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#6 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

i also got firefox 3.5 but it wont let me exit out of it by clicking the x.. i hav to use the task mamanger. Does anybody knw y?

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

Firefox 3.5 is a nice browser however I wasn't as excited for 3.5 as I was for 3.0. However, since I have been using Opera, I didn't even notice the 3.5 launch until after it happened.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

I didn't have any issues installing FF 3.5.
The X exit, works for me.Seems to load quite fast.
Opera is my prefered Browser,and have FF as well. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users