Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get my PC to recognise my Digimax 301 camera.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hi guys,
My daughter gave her old Digimax 301 camera to me yesterday as she doesn't ever use it anymore. The software disc that came with this camera was previously installed on this PC about a year ago and everything worked as it should at that time. The last time I reformatted some months ago I never reinstalled the camera software program as no one used it.
Yesterday and today I have taken some photos and this afternoon I reinstalled the software in order to copy the photos to my hard drive and that is when the problem appeared. I went to the Samsung site and downloaded a copy of the owners manual and followed the instructions correctly. The installation went okay and both programs and the driver installed and appear in the A/R programs list. However it wont recognise the camera and I have no heading called "Removable Disc" under My Computer. The program otherwise works fine it will open my files etc etc but will not show the photos stored in the camera.
I went through the manual trying to find the source of the problem and tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver when this did not work I uninstalled the whole program emptied all the Samsung entries in Program Files rebooted my PC and reinstalled the lot again with exactly the same results. On reboot and following the manual instructions I plugged in the USB cable and switch the camera on, the PC gives that ding dong sound you get with USB devices and the program opens but no photos appear and I still dont have the "Removable Disc" heading.
In the manual it says that it is best to connect the camera to an AC adaptor but as I don't have one I have to do it via the batteries. The other thing mentioned in the manual is the following text. "If your PC's central processing unit is VIA chip (this is shown in the USB host controller), download the patch file from the Samsung Camera Webpage. (http://www.samsungcamera.com). I checked in device manager and found that indeed my USB is all VIA. I then went to the address above and found pictures of the camera model, the owners manual and also the drivers download but could not find any info on the patch. I Googled it and it came up with a driver download site but Web of Trust informed me the site was dodgy so I exited it without clicking on anything at all.
I went back and downloaded the camera driver at the Samsung site to my desktop and it arrived as a zip file. I opened it and double clicked on the install exe. It opens up and I click run and nothing happens it starts to install but then never finishes just closes.
I came here earlier and there was a similar post today and one of the responses to that was to use the Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras> Add Device. I did this and on the box that appears get a list of cameras none of which is mine, I click on the "Have Disc" option and am asked to insert it into my optical drive and choose the directory D and click OK which I do but every time I do this the next thing that appears is the following text, "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". I don't understand this I have the disc in and pointed to the proper drive. So now I thought it was time to ask for some help here. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Edited by bluesjunior, 30 June 2009 - 02:05 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

I would try a fresh new download of the driver
When you were in Device Manager, were there any yellow exclamation points by the USB hub controllers?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply Garmanma,
I have uninstalled the whole lot again today. I have bought new Duracell Plus batteries and will try a new reinstall tonight. I checked all my USB devices in Device Manager and there are no yellow ?marks and I also checked every one and they all tell me this device is working properly. The only device with a yellow ? mark was in Modems called PCI Simple Communications Controller. I knew of this after my last reformat but googled it at that time and found it had to do with my old 56k connection and as I didn't need it now as I am on Cable Broadband account through a fast ethernet connection I just left it, but due to thinking just maybe that is in some unfathomable way the problem I decided to click repair and windows found the proper driver and now it says in Devices, Intel® 536EP Modem and no yellow ? mark. I fail to see how this has anything to do with the camera though.
I have tried to no avail to find the VIA Patch for a Digimax 301 mentioned in the owners manual. I found one for the 201 and the 340 on a pay site but nothing at the Samsung site. It must be something simple because the camera upload worked fine on this PC a year ago before the last reformat.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

You might try this driver

http://www.driverskit.com/freedownload/Cam...1/get18705.html
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks very much for that link Chewy,
I tried a new install this evening, but still the same result, the program and driver installs but won't find the camera when I plug it in. I uninstalled the driver on the install disc and installed the driver from the Samsung site but still no difference. What I don't understand is the "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". message I get when I try to use the install a scanner or camera feature in Windows with the disc in the drive and the correct address in the box. I wish I had more technical know how in order to solve this puzzle.

Edited by bluesjunior, 01 July 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

I have tried all possible combinations with the installation disc I have downloaded and tried the driver from the Samsung site as well as the one from Dachews link and nothing works. It all installs but somehow I don't get the removable disc heading under My Computer in the Viewer window and therefore cannot view the photos in the camera. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with SP3 as the previous time when it all worked ok was prior to SP3 release.
Excuse my ignorance but is there another way to view these photos without this program for example I was thinking what would someone do who bought a second hand digicam without any installation disc. I saw something on Google about using a memory card for which there is a slot provided in the battery compartment. If this is possible then what would I need to extract the photos from the memory disc to my PC?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users