Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem upgrading processor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lokig

lokig

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

hello, i am having a problem upgrading my processor, i am sure i have the correct type.

My motherboard is a foxconn
P9657AA-8EKRSH

and the current processor is a E6400 and i am trying to upgrade to a E7600

i have swapped processors, added thermal paste replace the heatsink and fan.

On booting up the power light comes on and the dvd and cd drives do their usual thing but the hard drive does not and therfore the computer does not start.

switching back to the E6400 and everything works ok. have i inadvertedly picked the wrong processor?

thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

I would start by going here: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/support/downloads.aspx

Look to see if you have the newest bios for your motherboard. I would also look for the manual on that same page and see if your motherboard supports your intended processor.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 lokig

lokig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

ok its seems my bios is the original (never upgraded) and the support list does not have it listed :thumbsup: so is thaat no hope at all?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

From what I can see, it look like they've updated the CPU code in the bios many times.

For my money, and for what it will take to upgrade the bios, I would update it with the original CPU.

Then I would try the new CPU and give it a shot. At this point, you have the new processor and it only takes a few minutes to update the BIOS, so I would try it and see what happens.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

Hi lokig

I do not see the E7600 listed or did you mean the E6700??

Here is a list of compatible cpus for your motherboard, but i would upgrade the bios just incase they have not added the cpu in this list yet, may not be right up to date!

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/Upload...CPU%2091407.htm

Let me know if you try the update and how you get on, to be honest if its not supported on your current bios then its worth a try as you have the cpu already yes?

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users