Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help- No internet connections or taskbar after virus removal [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ninatina

Ninatina

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hello
OS Windows xp professional SP2.
I have the windows CD.

My PC have been infected by a virus and it was removed by NOD but I have been facing several problems since then and I want my files stay safe. Main problems which I noticed are:

- all internet connections disappeared even in safe mode with networking, and I am connected now with another device
- taskbar disappeared but I managed to make it appear partially after some attempts in its options
- no system restore in system properties
- can not copy/cut and past
- when trying to start or reinstall Malewarebytes a run time error 372 appears: 'Failed to load control 'vbaLGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx..........etc.'
- when trying to start windows media player it says: can't perform opiration, low memory
- when I tried to check Phone and Modem Options it says: Phone and Modem control panel can not be opened. You may have a problem starting telephony service.
- there is no User Name beside Processes in Windows Task Manager except for System Idle Process, its user name is SYSTEM.
Please help me !

Edited by Ninatina, 30 June 2009 - 11:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Please uninstall the current mbam installation and try again:

Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.
  • Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
  • Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
--------------------------------
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Ninatina

Ninatina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:02 AM

Thank you garmanma for replying.
I uninstalld mbam as adviced and while uninstalling it gave me the same error 'Failed to load control 'vbaLGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx..........etc.'
I continued uninstalling then reinstalled again after renaming several times with ( .scr ) extension in both normal and safe mode but the same error reappears while trying to install, uninstall, or launch the program :thumbsup:

Edited by Ninatina, 02 July 2009 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Ninatina

Ninatina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

It might be of use informing you that the USB drive is working so I CAN transfer files through my mobile software not by copying and pasting.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

Using you flash drive, try SAS and see if it will work

---------------------------------

SAS,may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

If this doesn't work we'er going to go in a different direction entirely.
This could be a problem with Virtual Basic

Edited by garmanma, 02 July 2009 - 06:21 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Ninatina

Ninatina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

When trying to install SAS in normal mode this message appeared:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occure if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

#8 Ninatina

Ninatina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

By the way after NOD detected the trojan and deleted it, the computer was not working well back then. So I searched manually for strang programs and I found one in the Start up file. I tried to fix it with Hijackthis but it couldn't fix it because the program was running so I deleted it and made sure that it wasn't there through Registry editor. Any way the program's name was ( NECSYS32.EXE )

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Two options left-Post a HJT log or re-install

If you want to give removal of the infection a try, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

====================================

Option 2
Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

In case you need help with this, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr) or autorun (.ini) files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Ninatina

Ninatina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Ok, I will try option #1 first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users