Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 2hands0feet

2hands0feet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hello, and thank you for reading.

I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) on a Gateway MX6214 notebook. I've had a history of problems with the system, and recently (~1 month ago) I re-installed Windows for a whole host of reasons. If I remembered them in more detail, I'd explain them here.

My current problem began in the past 4 days, shortly after my Google search results began to get hijacked in Chrome.

I have had repeated BSODs saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the machine reboots before I get a chance to read the rest of the message and look for other helpful info. I am happy to post the minidumps, and to DL and run HJT, but was not sure exactly what information would be most helpful and how best to present it.

Sometimes I get the BSOD after a period of use (hours, minutes, anywhere in between), but almost every time that it happens, it will reboot, and recur, and reboot, and recur-- at least twice, often 3x.

Trying not to panic, but because I am pretty sure that I've had malware problems before me recent reinstall, and because I suspect I do not typically run strong enough security, I'm worried about the integrity of my system. I need the computer to work properly for my job, as does pretty much everybody else on here.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this, and for any help or guidance you can offer. I'll keep looking for similar topics, but from what I've read I suspect this is a very specific thing & am reluctant to try to duplicate someone else's fix.

SPECS:

Gateway MX6214
Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.6GHz
504 MB RAM
Windows XP Home w/ SP2

Security:

Spybot S&D
Windows Firewall (I think? Never confident it's running properly)
High or Medium-High browser security settings

Browser:

Google Chrome
Firefox

Recent Installs:

Bittorrent (shocking, I know)
TVUPlayer
TvAnts

What else is helpful to know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

AV program? Have you run any malware scans recently?

First thing to do, Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

This should result in some readable, permanent detail that should contain clues.

A little reading, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 2hands0feet

2hands0feet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Automatic Reboot disabled. When it next occurs I will note the entire message of the BSOD.

I have McAfee SecurityCenter, but because I have been unwilling to pay to extend it, I'm not sure what it's really doing on the AV front-- it tells me my AV Index is on the low-end of "yellow," but not poor enough to be red. And my overall security index is yellow, but slightly better than my AV index. Useless info? I hope not. Recommendations for AV freeware apppreciated!

Most recent MW scan was MalwareBytes, and it turned up 2 issues & appeared to resolve them successfully. I also run Spybot S&D every week or so-- can't remember if it turned up anything last time, but I don't think so.

Should I try to post the minidumps from the BSODs? Should I download HJT and post a log in the forum set up for HJT log info?

Thank you for your help, Louis!

#4 2hands0feet

2hands0feet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

Also, I've read the article you linked to, and I think I'm doing everything "by the book" but if I'm leaving out helpful info let me know. Thanks again.

#5 2hands0feet

2hands0feet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:49 AM

BSOD =

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xE1C6C000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xA93B9E85)

It then recommends that I disable BIOS memory operations such as caching or shadowing, and that I disable/remove newly installed hardware and software.

There are no hardware installations that make sense in terms of timing, but I went ahead and uninstalled BitTorrent and btDNA.

Haven't dealt with the BIOS stuff because I'm not confident as to what that does-- Does it seem like a good idea? (I have a hard time trusting them, since these are the same people who tell you to buy a PC in the first place......kidding, kidding)

Is it time to starting thinking about HJT? Posting zips of the memdumps generated by the BSODs? Haven't had a problem since uninstalling BT, but that was only a few hours ago.

#6 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

hi 2handsofeet

Did you see which driver was mentioned in the blue screen??

Generally it will indicate a xxxx.sys file (where xxxx could be any number of different driver file names)

Basically a driver has tried to access a part of memory that it is not allowed to.
A driver for a device can only access memory of another kernel mode driver if the irq of the device is equal to or less than the kernel device.

Bad example but. say your gfx card had an irq of 9 and your keyboard has an irq of 2 the driver of the gfx card cannot access the memory of the keyboard as its irq is not less than or equal to the keyboard irq (9 is larger and not equal to 2)

So it all depends on which driver is pulling the stops here (literally) If there is no driver mentioned then it gets a little trickier :/

High500

#7 2hands0feet

2hands0feet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I looked for one because that's what I'm used to seeing. But not in this case. No driver mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users