Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files and settings transfer wizard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi folks. I am getting a new computer and would like to use the XP files and settings transfer wizard. I am confused as
to how to use it. I have put in bold type the line I am confused about. Every instruction I read talks about using a floppy
disk. Compuers haven't come with them for years. Say what? Are they saying I can't use this method unless I have a
floppy drive? Wll someone that has used this method please explain to this old man in language I can understand.

Step 1: Get the files and the settings from the old computer
On the old computer, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
In the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard dialog box, click Next, and then click Old Computer.
Click Next, and then select a transfer method, such as Floppy drive or other removable media.Click Next, and then click the option that corresponds to the items that you want to transfer. For example, you can click Settings only, Files only, or Both files and settings.
Click Next two times, and then wait as the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" processes the items to transfer.
Click Finish.
Back to the top
Step 2: Transfer the files and the settings to the new computer
On the new computer, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
In the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard dialog box, click Next, and then click New Computer.
Click Next, and then click I donít need the Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer.
Click Next, and then select a transfer method, such as Floppy drive or other removable media.

Note You must select the same transfer method that you selected on the old computer.
Click Next, and then wait as the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" processes the items to transfer.
Click Finish.
Back to the top

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Seems to me that it's saying...whatever you desire to transfer...must be transferred from the old system to media...then subsequently transferred from media to the new system. No direct transfer from old to new.

But...see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx

I've never used this tool, so I have to rely on written procedures.

Louis

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Seems to me that it's saying...whatever you desire to transfer...must be transferred from the old system to media...then subsequently transferred from media to the new system. No direct transfer from old to new.

But...see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx

I've never used this tool, so I have to rely on written procedures.

Louis

Now I find this at one of the links you sent. Appears I can buy a $5.00 Serial cable an transfer the files. Thanks

Copying files to a home network drive is the fastest method. If you don't have a home network, try using a direct cable connection between your computers. Because the wizard uses auto detection to configure ports for the cable, you don't need to go through any complicated setup procedures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users