Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen (laptop)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evilmatty16

evilmatty16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

Okay I have vista on a laptop and always after around 5 minutes i will get a blue screen and must shut down the laptop. It does not matter if im leaving it alone or trying to browse the internet. I don't believe this is a virus thing since i have yet to find a virus using Mcaffee and Norton.

When i reboot the computer it says this:

Problem Signature:
Problem signature event name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information: (this seems to change each blue screen)
BCCode: 19
BCP1: 00000022
BCP2: 91EA0000
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that describe the problem:
c:\windows\minidump\mini063009-09.dmp
c:\user\farrec\appdata\local\temp\wer_123209-0.sysdata.xml
c:\user\farrec\appdata\local\temp\wer9e3E.tmp.version.txt

Now i basically don't know much about computers so am completely stumped on how to fix this. It will stay running in safe mode without blue screening but i cant figure out a problem. No viruses.

Please help :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 timko

timko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

Hello,
Here are few suggestions.
1. Do a google seach with the error code in quotes. Try to find posts, discussions about that exact error.
2. Go to the Microsoft website and search
3. Go to the HP Website and search
4. Chat with Technical Support at least 3 or 4 times for 2 or 3 or 4 hrs until something gels.
5. See if you can buy or if HP will suggest a phone in tech support contract and or a hardware contract.

If you have a problem with an HP, ... go there first.

6. Do a google <maps> search for "computer service and your zip code
7. Call or email a few of the local hp computer service groups to see if they have info/suggestions/per chour charges.

Hope that helps.

#3 Waffles

Waffles

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Typically a blue screen error is caused because a piece of hardware or its driver has malfunctioned in a way that won't let the operating system to continue with its normal operation or a necessary piece of information from a critical file is missing or corrupt. Your correct in the assumption that it is more than likely not caused by a virus.

A few things you can try yourself before you take it to a professional to get things worked up:
Start the computer in safe mode. With the computer off, press the power button then press F8 every second or so until you are given an a list of options that should include safe mode. Doing this starts the computer with the bare minimum it takes to operate the computer. If you don't get the error this will allow you to do a few things. First, BACK UP YOUR DATA! Second, it will let you look at the error logs (which probably doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for a novice, but you end up taking it to a shop it means they can get quite a bit of info).

Supposing safe mode works, look for Device manager in the control panel. If any of the devices listed are marked with a red X or yellow exclamation point that is the first place to start. Post what device is showing and error and what the error is.

If everything is ok in Device Manager look think back about what devices or software you have started to use in the days before the problem and uninstall them. Printers, cameras, antivirus software... what ever you installed recently before you started to have a problem. In the Programs and Features option in the control panel select "View installed updates" and check to see if Windows did an automatic update in the days leading up to the problem that may also be something to look at.

If removing the programs and devices didn't work (or there was nothing new added), you can also attempt to use system restore. This will let you pick a point in the past and return critical system files to the state they were in on the day you selected. The program is designed not to delete data such as documents and pictures, but make sure they are backed up anyway just to be safe.

Other than that a technician can run a diagnostic and find if it a malfunctioning piece of hardware of suggest a Windows reinstall to repair damaged system files.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users