Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Goofed up adding RAM, now PC won't enter windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amarrao

amarrao

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:26 AM

My PC has two DDR DIMM slots, the first one filled with a 256 MB and the second one empty. Today, I bought a 512 MB to put in the empty slot. Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking out the 256 MB card from the first slot and putting it in the second slot while putting the new 512 MB card in the first slot, thinking that the better card should be in the first slot. Anyhow, upon startup I got a momentary error message saying something like "C:$Mfst could not be saved. The operation failed" Now, my computer refuses to enter Windows. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

I no its a stupid question, but have you changed it back, or taken out the new one and just put in the original, and see what happens, also i have always match them, like 256, 256.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

If changing them around don't work just clear the cmos and see if you don't have better luck. Also make sure the ram chips are set right.

#4 amarrao

amarrao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:14 AM

My working original configuration:

Slot 1: 256 MB
Slot 2: Empty

My failing first new configuration:

Slot 1: 512 MB
Slot 2: 256 MB

My failing second new configuration:

Slot 1: 256 MB
Slot 2: 512 MB

I will post what happens when I go back to the original configuration.

PhatCat, how do you "clear the cmos"?

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

Usually to clear the CMOS you need to disconnect the power supply, remove the battery and then it's usually a jumper that needs shorting near the battery to clear it.

Consult your motherboard manual for more details.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:58 AM

Is the second ram chip exactly the same specs as the first (the one that works)?

Will it work with just the 512 in the first slot with the second empty?

If it has hyper-threading technology the two chips must be exactly the same (size and type), and matched.

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 July 2005 - 03:59 AM.

#7 amarrao

amarrao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:15 AM

With the original configuration (the 256 MB card in the first slot,) I got the same error. The error I keep getting is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

followed by some text recommending that I fix the problem somehow, followed by a line saying:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

followed by some data looking something like:

0x0000000000

and so on and so forth.

#8 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:04 AM

Post the full string of the BSOD

0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It will give some indication of what's causing the problem.

If it's this STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xbbbbbbbb,0xcccccccc,0xdddddddd) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME read the following MS Article

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:
Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users