Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Athlon64-X2 "Black Box"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sicnarf1021

Sicnarf1021

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

About every 5 years or so I get the bug to build another machine. Especially when they don't even write programs for the machine I have. During that 5 years I don't bother keeping up with the latest techie stuf so I have to cram for the exam of building the new machine.

Money is a factor, as well as some other well entrenched prejudices I have.
I'm looking at using an AMD 64X2 7850 (2.8GhZ) "Black Box". Now it's that "Black Box" that bothers me.
I am interpreting the "Black Box" as an over-clockable chip, BUT overclocking is something I don't really care to get in to.
The AMD site is too techie for me as I have tried finding the answer to my question there to no avail.
So here goes

1.Does anyone know if this is a "limited" chip that I can just insert into the Gigabyte GAMA770 mobo and have the mobo and cpu figure out what to do?

2.I have chosen to use an SATA HD. Can an UltraATA/100 HD be used in conjuction either as master or slave with an SATA HD?

Thanks for any and all replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

I don't suggest the 7850 as it is of an older design. If you have the money, the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz will be a better chip as it has a newer design, is more efficient, and has greater cache. Sadly, that motherboard does not support it but it does support other Phenom II's. If you want the 550, the inexpensive GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 will support it. AMD labels all of their highest performing CPU's as Black Edition. These processors have the highest CPU clock speeds for their class (dual, triple, or quad core) and an unlocked multiplier. The unlocked multiplier makes overclocking very easy, but even if you don't OC, the speed benefit from the stock settings still make the Black Editions very attractive. I suggest using the IDE drive as a slave due to its slower speed and put the OS on a SATA drive, if possible.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users