Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Discarding Xerox Packets

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AgustusM

AgustusM

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

The Parameters

Win XP SP2 Laptop
Basic TCP/IP peer to peer network with SOHO switch and DSL modem.
Xerox Document Centre using SMB port 139

So this Xerox copy/scan is setup to scan and use the LAN place the scan in pdf form on a share on the laptop (laptop\scan) over SMB on port 139

Has worked flawlessly for 3 years. It also works on other PCs in the LAN.

The NIC on the laptop docking station went bad and rather than purchase a new docking station I put a USB NIC to connect the laptop. Laptop connects to the network and has no issue with all other network traffic. However now the scans are being blocked by the windows firewall

The scan will work if:
I disable windows firewall
When the laptop is undocked and using the internal NIC

However docked with firewall on the SMB packets are discarded and nothing shows up in the san folders.

I have gone into the firewall and added an exception for SMB port 139, but it doesnt make any difference cant get the scans with the dock/firewall combo.

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AgustusM

AgustusM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

bump, in the hopes that someone sees it and potentially has a fix

#3 AgustusM

AgustusM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

In case anyone stumbles on this I found a workaround that works.

I replaced the windows firewall with the Kerio personal firewall and it worked.

Still not sure why the windows firewall was dropping the packets. But at least now it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users