Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helping Roommate with slow computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KINGISHMTN

KINGISHMTN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

My roommates computer was having all sorts of problems, restricted internet access, freezing, pop-ups, he also had his facebook hacked (which spammed everyone i'm not sure of what), and so he asked me to help. I done as much as I know how to do and hoping that someone can help me with the rest.

I've installed and ran various virus scans

Norton Antivirus
Spybot
Malbytes
Hijack this
Microtrend house call

found / deleted

Worm.koobface
Backdoorbot
Rogue Internet Antivirus
HLKT_INTERNETANT?
a couple others I cant remember, i should have wrote them down.

the computer is running relatively well but still very slow, particularly norton antivirus

which is also causing problems in the sense that every time I open it or try and run a scan it asks me to update the virus definitions and that it needs to restart.

similarly windows update always seems to need updates whenever the computer is restarted?

I've deleted old programs and checked startup and they are fine

Tried running disk clean but it just runs the comp usage up to 100% and doesnt pass "Compressing Old Files", it doesnt freeze it just doesnt go past "compressing old files" as if it is incapable of doing so.

Is there anyway to recover the computer without reformatting?

Edited by KINGISHMTN, 29 June 2009 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users