Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp professional installed over xp home ....having trouble accessing files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 webbeccjo

webbeccjo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

i didn't really know how to title this post! lol!
I'm worried that my questions will sound ridiculous, since I have limited computer knowledge, so please bear with me!

I have a dell dimension 8400 with xp professional

Today,I tried to boot up the computer and got an error that said *unmountable_boot_volume

I tried pushing f-12 and running a hard drive diagnostic, but it failed
(it said fail-return code 7)
I tried clicking the one that said "boot to utility partition, but it said "missing loader"

I lost the windows xp professional disc that came with the computer (this is an old comp) but I did find a windows xp home edition disc that we bought a long time ago for another computer (that comp is no longer working), so I tried booting from that diskand ended up installing it over top of the xp professional.

It worked...I can see my old files on the c drive under program files, but I can't access them.
Is there any way to access them or even delete them so I can reinstall what I want/need? I tried using the add/remove programs, but none of the old files show up on it.

I realize I probably need a new hard drive , but until I can I'm hoping to access some of my files and programs on this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

hey webbeccjo

I suggest you try backing up your files using this method.

Using this method you can at least back up all your files.
After that try running check disk by following the instructions here.
Follow the steps listed under "Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer"

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to post

Regards
~powerjuce

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Reference: Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

#4 webbeccjo

webbeccjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

thanks so much!
I did run a chkdsk, and I *think* everything was fine ...there were some things that flew by kind of fast after the scan and I couldn't really read it, but when windows booted it did say that the disc was clean.

I guess my main question is that when the new windows installed, it created new user accts.
The programs that were in my user acct before are not accessible to me now....I have a brand new user acct.
I can find the files and programs that were in my old one under documents and settings, but some of them don't work if I click on them now. And none of them show up on add/remove programs.
If I click on a file/program and delete the folder, is that the same as uninstalling it?

I have one program in particular - world of warcraft - that we want to run....I can find it under program files....it used to be on my old desktop, but not on the new one.... I get an error when I click on it...it looks like it can't load a file or something.
I don't know whether to just reinstall it (I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but would it be on the comp twice then since I'd be downloading it to a new folder?) or if I should delete the folder that has the game in it before I download it again. Its not showing up on add/remove programs.

I hope I'm making sense! I'm sure these questions are ridiculous! lol! but I just can't figure this out!

jenn

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

I suggest you try this uninstaller.

Please do not try and delete the program files, if that uninstaller does not work, go ahead and re-download the world of warcraft installer.

However the fact that you cannot view the other files please try logging in as an administrator and see if you can access the files.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

How many Windows folders...do you see when you look at the C: partition?

Does your boot screen give you options for booting into XP? Are two installs reflected while booting, with the option of booting into either?

<<...so I tried booting from that diskand ended up installing it over top of the xp professional.>>

I missed that the first time...that is not recommended procedure by Microsoft.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...ver-xp-pro.html

Louis

#7 webbeccjo

webbeccjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for all of the help! I feel kind of stupid for loading the xp home over the pro like that! :thumbsup: It was kind of a panic and click moment! lol!

I've downloaded that uninstaller and was able to delete a few things. I cleaned my registry, re downloaded WoW, and re downloaded some drivers. I think everything is working well enough to tide me over until I can get a new hard drive.

Now I just hope installing a new hard drive is something a novice can do!

~jenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users