Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert pdf file to something writeable

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Although I found a similar topic in a previous thread, it didn't really apply to what I need, so here goes...

I have a .pdf file for a document. However, I cannot access the document in order to fill in the form; all I can do is print the form, then write it all in by hand. Well, not only has my handwriting been known to make doctors cry, but the spaces are waaaaay too small.

What I'd like is a program that easily convert the pdf file to something I can edit & fill in, then print in it's original format. At present, all I have ins Adobe Reader, so something free would obviously be preferable.

Thanks for any assistance,
=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=345674

Check "Office Applications" for pdf conversion/writing programs that are free. Let us know if any of them do what you want. (I haven't used any of them)

Edited by Twin B, 29 June 2009 - 08:08 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

You can open a PDF file in OpenOffice 3.0 and save it in another format.
Same is possible in MS Office 2007 SP2 (not SP1 or earlier)

Open Office (open source) : http://www.openoffice.org/

Edited by Romeo29, 30 June 2009 - 12:12 PM.

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

You can open a PDF file in OpenOffice 3.0 and save it in another format.
Same is possible in MS Office 2007 SP2 (not SP1 or earlier)

Open Office (open source) : http://www.openoffice.org/

Sorry, but I tried to open it with MS Office 2007 Word; it doesn't work. :thumbsup:
=SubMariner=

#5 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

:flowers:-->
QUOTE(Twin B @ Jun 29 2009, 09:07 PM) View Post
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=345674

Check "Office Applications" for pdf conversion/writing programs that are free. Let us know if any of them do what you want. (I haven't used any of them)[/quote]

Ok...

Bit of a slog going through that list, but the PDF X-Change Viewer (http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer) allowed me to go into the PDF file & type in additional information. I could then print off & save the amended version.

I didn't try any of the other features, but so far this does what I want it to, so why complain?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
=SubMariner=

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Sorry, but I tried to open it with MS Office 2007 Word; it doesn't work. :thumbsup:

Do you have Office 2007 SP2 installed?

Today the availability of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for the 2007 Microsoft Office system was announced. The service pack includes major performance enhancements for Office applications, most notably Microsoft Office Outlook, as well as Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. One big benefit is SP2’s boost to interoperability — with this release, Office supports additional built-in file formats such as PDF and ODF.

Reference : http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...e2007sp2qa.mspx

EDIT: From your post in another thread, I realized you have been trying to edit a copy protected PDF file in which author restricted to be read-only. This is not supported in MS Office or any other legal software.

Edited by Romeo29, 01 July 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#7 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Do you have Office 2007 SP2 installed?

Today the availability of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for the 2007 Microsoft Office system was announced. The service pack includes major performance enhancements for Office applications, most notably Microsoft Office Outlook, as well as Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. One big benefit is SP2’s boost to interoperability — with this release, Office supports additional built-in file formats such as PDF and ODF.

Reference : http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...e2007sp2qa.mspx

I'm not on my own PC right now, but I'm pretty sure all my software is up to date for ALL my programs. Esp since MS constantly bombards you with "new software is ready to download" for all their programs.

EDIT: From your post in another thread, I realized you have been trying to edit a copy protected PDF file in which author restricted to be read-only. This is not supported in MS Office or any other legal software.

Sorry, but you are confusing me with the person who actually started that thread. I only put up a reply telling them about what I used & referring them to THIS thread.

BTW, there is an add-in that will allow Publisher files to be saved as .pdf's which is not part of SP2, but a separate download. I downloaded it for a particular project I was working on, but I don't know whether that would allow one to pull .pdf files into Publisher to "play" with them. I'll have to check that out...

Pax,
=SubMariner=

#8 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

I am running Office 2007 SP2 and can readily save documents as PDF's. If I save a Word or Excel 2007 as a PDF and try to reopen it to modify it I cannot open the PDF's. I would to have the capability to open and or modify PDF's from Office 2007 SP2 but I also have not been successful. Am I missing something?

#9 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Justa,

If you want to modify the original document, open up the original Word or Excel file and modify that document. Then convert it once again to a PDF file. Save it as the same file name as before, which will replace the old PDF version, which has now been edited.

Is that what you want to do?

#10 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Thanks,

I have no problems creating pdf's from Office and I do normally modify Excel or Word files that I have created and generate new pdf's. I do occasionally have a need to open and modify pdf's that are not protected pdf's. It does not appear that Office has this capability. It will not even allow me to open unprotected pdf's that were created by Word or Excel. I have no desire to crack any protected pdf's.

Perhaps I should consider downloading Open Office if it has this capability.

#11 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Modifying a PDF file, even if you have Acrobat Professional, and you are the author of the document, is not a very easy task. Acrobat is not a program for novice users, especially when it comes to editing. Commenting is easy, but actually editing the text is not.

That's why I replied that if you want to edit your document, you need to open it up in the original program (this is what you would do if you had Acrobat Pro and were going to convert it to a PDF file). Make your edits, then re-convert it. The ability to convert to PDFs is nothing more than having a "null printer" on your computer. Imagine taking a hard-copied printed document that you wanted to edit. You have the original on your machine in Word format. Is it going to be easier to just open up the Word document and reprint, or slip that piece of paper in a typewriter and hope for the best?

Of course, the answer is easy.

Those of us that use Acrobat Professional frequently use it in that fashion: create our original, convert to PDF. If a change needs to be made, open the original, make the change, resave as PDF, replacing the old version of the PDF file. Easy :thumbsup:

Edit: you said you can't even open the document once it's a PDF file. Do you have Acrobat Reader installed?

Edited by txtchr, 05 July 2009 - 02:44 PM.

#12 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thanks txtchr,

So if I understand correctly Open Office as well as Office 2007 would not have the capability to open a pdf document and convert to either a spreadsheet or a word processor type file.

The pdf's I created with Office 2007 could not be opened with Office 2007 as pdf files. They open just fine with any of the simple pdf applications.

I can't afford Adobe Pro so I guess it is not possible to open pdf's and convert to either Word 2007 or Excel 2007 file types.

I guess I will work on my typing speed. :thumbsup:
LOL

#13 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Justa,

You are correct. As I stated before, the ability to create a PDF file is like having another printer on your computer, that's all. Macs have had this for quite a while. Microsoft just caught up with Apple, as it's a nifty little ability to be able to create a PDF file to print and save (especially when you're not connected to a printer and you need a copy of something, let's say a receipt from an internet purchase, that you can physically print later once you're connected to a real printer). But you have to look at it that once it's converted to a PDF, it's printed. Just as if you wanted to make edits on a piece of paper and you wrote in comments (similar to making comments with Acrobat Pro -- as they'll look the same with little "call-outs"), the original is needed in order to make real changes and re-print, or in this case, reconvert to a PDF file.

You can convert your Office files to PDFs, but not the other way around.

With Acrobat Pro (and yes, it's pricey), you can convert virtually ANY document to a PDF, but often, not the other way around either.

Does that make sense?

Edited by txtchr, 05 July 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#14 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes txtchr,

It makes total sense to me and I now understand that Adobe Pro is required to do what I would like. We can make pdf's in the same way we send to print but cannot go the other direction. I had been wondering about this for a long time. The upshot is that the pdf's I generate that I do not want recipients to modify may not be easily modified. I am the treasurer of a non-profit organization and distribute pdf's for this purpose.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users