Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I deleted my audio output device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nsweeney

nsweeney

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

EDIT: PLEASE TRASH THIS I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM
for some reason vista hides the devices after you disable them--I was correct in assuming I could re-enable them.

sorry!

Hi,

I did something really stupid the other day out of frustration-long story short I couldn't get sound for a video on a certain platform so I started systematically disabling my audio output devices, thinking that I could simply re-enable them later. Lo and behold they disappeared. I have been trying to restore my system, but the only restore points showing up are from after the disaster. Is there any way to reveal earlier restore points (perhaps that my computer made automatically) so I can get my sound back?

edit: I am operating on a Vista basic

Thanks,

nsweeney

Edited by nsweeney, 29 June 2009 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

Are you using a sound card or onboard sound? If a sound card, just insert the installation disc that came with the sound card. If it's onboard sound, is it a Realtek codec? if so go to realtek, download and install the newest correct drivers and it should give you everything back. If you don't know, tell me what kind of motherboard you have (brand and model, IE nVidia 790i). Or the make and model of your computer (IE Dell 3600 inspiron ect......) and I'll see what i can find for you.

Sorry about the delay, I meant to answer this yesterday but my 7 year old came in and dragged me off the computer lol.

#3 nsweeney

nsweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

Oh I love seven-year-olds! All kids actually so it's forgiven. I'm sorry you didn't see my notice, I didn't know how to change the thread topic but I actually solved the problem myself. As I predicted, it was really simple, and also as I predicted I could re-enable the audio. It's just that once you disable sound on Vista, it decides to hide everything and make it appear as if there is no audio device installed-which I think is a really stupid set-up to begin with, but you can't have everything.

Anyway, thanks!

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

No problem, glad you got it all worked out. I do that myself sometimes, lose something simple and can't find it. LOL I deleted my trashcan from desktop and couldn't figure out how to get it back for about a year til I saw a thread here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users