Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

detection & etrust no start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ELUDZ

ELUDZ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

internet explorer & etrust not working

serious problem.. i have a lot of different scanners and nothing is coming up with an infection anymore..
but internet explorer is not starting and etrust will not either since it is dependant upon the browser working.

at work.. have to run etrust.. not my preference.. and the problem seems to be that it detects things when i just download them.. i haven't even run them yet, and it detects them.. can't disinfect them.. then makes it harder to manually remove things seemingly.. so let's do the full thing.. hijack logs.. etc.. whatever ..

let's do this, so that i don't get in trouble for messing my work machine up k? = )

Edited by ELUDZ, 29 June 2009 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi ELUDZ,

Can you run Firefox? If you can't connect to the internet, you'll need to do the scans by downloading what you need to a flashdrive or cd and installing the programs from one of these exterman media.

If you want to post in the HijackThis forum, please go through the Preparation Guide

Then start a new thread there.

Be sure when you write your description that you explain what the word "anymore" refers to. What infections were removed or found, what files did you delete on your own, if any? When did problems start? That kind of thing.

Zllio

#3 ELUDZ

ELUDZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

k.. close this topic.. i fixed the problem...

scanned with everything i had.. then reinstalled internet explorer considering E-trust needs it to work.. and it fixed both..

the anymore was there because i editted the message and didn't remove that part.. i said earlier that etrust detected malum trojan.. but then i fixed all that crap.. and IE and etrust weren't working still .. but i got it all squeaky clean..

thanks and sorry for the confusion..

Edited by ELUDZ, 02 July 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

ELUDZ,

Thank you very much for this:

scanned with everything i had.. then reinstalled internet explorer considering E-trust needs it to work.. and it fixed both..

After you mentioned it, I went looking and found that E-trust requires a change in Firefox in order to use it. Here's a link about that: http://iso.csusb.edu/download/av/itm-firefox

Whether it can work with IE removed, I don't know, but you need to have IE installed for your Windows Updates. Without Windows Updates, your computer is excessively vulnerable. I'm not sure where you are with your windows updates, but if you don't have SP3 and decide to install it, you may want to uninstall IE7 or IE8 first (through add/remove programs), then install SP3, and then re-install IE7 or IE8. Otherwise, these cannot be removed in add/remove programs. Here's some information on that: https://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/0...-and-xpsp3.aspx

Additionally, it would be a good idea to make sure your Java is updated. Old versions of Java are entry points for malware. Here is the information on getting the most recent version of Java. Be sure to check add/remove programs after the installation, to make sure the most recent version does remove the old versions.

Updating your Java

The newest Java download and installation should remove old versions of Java. I'll have you check after we run the installation to see if this was the case.

Please go to Current Java Download and do the following:* Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 14.
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
* Click on Continue.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Double-click on the Java installation program on your desktop and allow it to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")
* When you finish installing it, just delete the installation program (jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe) from your desktop.

Again, thanks for getting back to us about this. If you post back, I'll give you some recommendations on how to make your browsers more secure.

Thanks.
Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 03 July 2009 - 12:13 AM.

#5 ELUDZ

ELUDZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

thanks for the thoroughness..

i appreciate it.. and as far as windows sp3 goes.. i've had it for a LONG time.. no problems..

etrust is like norton to me.. big and does nothing special..

at home i am loyal to avira antivir and ewido.. but ewido has now been replaced with:

Trojan Remover 6.7.8
SpywareDoctor 5.0.5.258
stinger 10.0.1.546
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Ad-Aware 2009
Spyware Cease 3.7

:thumbsup:

i also use O&O Defrag with monitoring on to keep my fragmentation at 0%

aswell as using advanced uninstaller, tweaknow powerpack 2005 & 2.20 pro, tune-up utilities 2009 & winxp manager 6.0.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users