Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new hard drive, still problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sbartolini

sbartolini

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop that gradually died. Before it went completely kaput I ran a diagnostics test and got:

DTS Short Test Fail
Error Code 1000-0146
Unit 0: DST log contains previous errors

A few of the breakdown symptoms:

[All of these symptoms were progressive. They began intermttently, and gradually became permanent. They did not start all at once, but rather one after another.]

Numbers did not work (except for 5&6 and characters)
Some letters stopped working (but not all)
DVD would not play but CD would.
Internet connection could not be detected.

Tried to reinstall windows.
Would not allow me to reinstall XP (after deleting partitions). Could not get past 40% of files loaded.

So OK- I REPLACED THE HARD DRIVE

XP would not install off DVD.(hmm) But it seemed ok with a CD. Thought maybe a bad DVD. Got install going ok until I came to part where you have to enter product registration code. Found out numbers still don't work (except 5&6 and characters) (more hmmm). [Incidentally, I tested the DVD on another machine and it is ok.]

Any ideas? CPU? Memory? Motherboard?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users