Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Install Locks Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blakes7

Blakes7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hi! I decided to redo my computer. I put the install disk into the dvd-cd drive, rebooted, the press any key to boot from cd message appears. I press enter, the screen changes to Setup is inspecting your computer message, then the screen goes black, and nothing happens---it locks up. I tried another xp cd, and the same thing happens. I borrowed a disk from a friend to try, and the same thing. Within xp, I can put the disk into the drive, and the xp screen opens asking if you want to install, browse files, etc. Why won't it install? I thought maybe a virus, but the cds are ok. I was wondering if I used the Western Digital start up disk, and formatted the hard disk that way, would that clear up anything that is preventing the install, or would I just be left with a blank disk? I was thinking I could remove the drive, put it in another computer, and install it from there, but xp would be looking at a different hardware configuration, so it wouldn't work. Also, about a week and a half ago, I used a USB flash drive to move some files to another drive. I removed it safely each time, but could windows be reading that somewhere and be "confused"? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

It appears to me that some hardware is causing trouble.

You need to remove and reattach your hard disk data and power cable. If you have PCIE graphics card, remove and reattach firmly. Remove all the unnecessary peripherals and PCI cards. You can attach them later when Window is installed.

#3 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the response. I checked all the connections and ran diagnostic programs on the hardware (motherboard, hard drive, video card). Everything passed. I think it has something to do with the usb flash drive I used, but I have a simple BIOS (ASUS), and I can't detect any changes, I disconnected the printer and tried a ps2 mouse instead of the usb mouse, but it still locks up after the message---Setup is checking.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users