Well, it's looking clean, Ranscon Good stuff! Let's firstly do some housekeepingYour Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
- Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 14.
- Click the Download button to the right.
- Select your Platform: "Windows".
- Select your Language: "Multi-language".
- Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
- Click Continue and the page will refresh.
- Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs
and remove all
older versions of Java.
-- If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
-- If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
-- The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.
Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe)
adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service
if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck
the box for Java Quick Starter
. Click Ok and reboot your computer.Delete ComboFix and Clean Up
and type combofix /u
(Note the space between combofix and /u)Please advise if this step is missed for any reason as it performs some important actions.Download and Run OTC
We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC
Here's some advice on how you can keep your PC cleanUpdate your AntiVirus Software
- Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
- Double click icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
- Then Click the big button.
- You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
- Restart your computer when prompted.
It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.Make sure your applications have all of their updates
It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector
and Calendar of Updates.Use a Firewall
I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:Understanding and Using FirewallsInstall an AntiSpyware Program
A highly recommended AntiSpyware program is SuperAntiSpyware
. You can download the free Home Version. or the Pro version for a 15 day trial period.
Other recommended, and free, AntiSpyware programs are Spybot - Search and Destroy
and Ad-Aware Personal
Installing these programs will provide spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with an AntiSpyware program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
Tutorials on using these programs can be found below:Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and HijackersUsing Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your ComputerThat's it Ranscon, happy surfing!