Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ericdhei

ericdhei

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have run macafee, malwarebytes, atf cleaner and more and can find no virus detected but am completely bogged down - slow mouse response, keyboard resonse and freezing up. problems start within minutes of restart.

not positive but the problems may have started when I uninstalled norton and installed macaffee.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Did you use the Norton Removal Tool to remove your Norton Product?

If you have now installed Macaffee, and did not completley remove the Norton product it is just possible you may have two antivirus programs on board....... :thumbsup:

#3 ericdhei

ericdhei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for your input. I originally just used uninstall so just ran the norton removal tool but didn't fix the problem. Tried superantispyware and bitdefender as well. Super anti came up with some adware previously undetected by others but didn't fix the problem.

Any other ideas?

#4 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Can you show us the report from the Malwarebytes program in case it flaggs up anything?

I presume you mean you did an on line scan with Bit Defender and do not have that program actually installed?

#5 ericdhei

ericdhei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

Thanks again for your help.

Yes it was the online scan of bitdefender and it didn't find anything. Same with Malwarebytes. Log posted below. I ran superantispyware and it found and eliminated some adware. reran it and came up clean.

Still having problems, think you may be on to something with a conflict between programs rather than a virus but that is just a guess, not the most computer literate person.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2353
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

6/30/2009 9:20:37 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-30 (09-20-37).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 202475
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 4 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 06/30/2009 at 09:19 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 3960
Trace Rules Database Version: 1901

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 10:42:29

Memory items scanned : 738
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 8139
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 415592
File threats detected : 0

Any ideas? Should I go thru everything shown running by task manager? I looked up a few of the things on google and they seemed legit.

Kind of stuck.

Thanks much.

eric

#6 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

Those scans appear to run clean

have run macafee, malwarebytes, atf cleaner and more and can find no virus detected but am completely bogged down -

Can you please tell us what the 'and more' refers to...which programs have you installed and /or run ?

Please tell us what, at this point in time, you DO have installed protection- program- wise?

Some other ideas that have come to mind are......

Computer trying to get the Microsoft Updates ...so when did you last visit the Microsoft update site?

One of your programs also trying to get its automatic updates

Have you set any program to do a scan at boot up or at a specific time of day ?

#7 Sahil Kotak

Sahil Kotak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

Hi,
I think they both are not of use, you can give a try to kaspersky. It is very good, I am using it from one year and working very fine.

#8 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hi,
I think they both are not of use, you can give a try to kaspersky. It is very good, I am using it from one year and working very fine.

Hi; what 'both' are you referring to on this thread ?

Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are both very well- known and recommended malware-finding programs :thumbsup: As you can see those scans appear to have run clean , thus hopefully indicating a problem elsewhere , maybe with a program trying to update itself

@erichehi how is Macafee getting on ?

#9 ericdhei

ericdhei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for asking about macafee, I had forgotten to turn back on.

Right now I have installed macafee suite - virus scan, firewall and security center and have it scheduled to run its cleaner weekly.

I also have installed but not set to auto update or run - superantispyware, malwarebytes, spybot, atf cleaner and ccleaner.

I have regcure scheduled to run twice per week.

Computer is much better since using the norton removal tool - not where it used to be but at least very usable now.

the only microsoft updates that show are for explorer 8 and net framework

Thanks again.

#10 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I notice you include this

http://www.regcure.com/

May I advise you that (unless so instructed within the HJT section of thsi site ) this forum does not advocate the use of Registry Cleaners as you can actually wipe off more than you intend with their use
You have also turned Macaffee firewwall on? Have you also turned OFF your Windows firewall?

Also, have you got System Restore turned on ( unless you turned it off it should be on by default)

Unless you have already done so, may I also suggest you run your Disc Deframent service

you may find ( should find !!)this will improve the computer's overall performance;

Please let us know how you get on ?

Maybe run some full scans just to ensure you ARE still clean :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users