Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tarheel38

tarheel38

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi... didn't know exactly where to post this... I'm new so all help appreciated. I have a computer that I'm trying to get going. It was freezing at opening, some time opening and then freezing after a few minutes, etc., etc. Obviously since the freezing I could not venture into the software problems if any... trash, bugs, etc. Now it will not boot at all although it will turn on and the CD drive will not open but constantly blinks and tries to activate. I thought maybe the power supply so took it out and tried another that I knew worked and same result. Any help appreciated. Remember, I cannot boot nor open the CD drive. Thanks...

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

hey tarheel38
this seems like it is not good at all

can you access the bios?

try by starting up the computer and then press F2 or Esc.

if that works then your motherboard is still live.
If that works c if you can open your cd - drive while in the bios
hope that works
~powerjuce

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

On the front of the CD drive is there a small round hole suitable for bent paperclip insertion followed by some pressing straight inwards? If yes, that should force the tray out.

Maybe there is some non bootable CD stuck in there. If so, remove it. Try to boot now.

Does "trying to get going" mean it has not been going before and you are trying to get it working?

Do you have a bootable XP CD handy? You are probably going to find, borrow or buy one.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 tarheel38

tarheel38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

No, can't access anything!! Hit the on switch and the fans run and the CD drive light blinks and tries to open but will not... F2, ESC, etc., does not do anything... and yes folks, I have hooked up to monitor, keyboard, etc... :thumbsup:

#5 tarheel38

tarheel38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Jose... had forgotten about the 'escape' hole. No CD therein. I do have a CD and tried that... nothing... just will not boot...

Trying to get it started means what I mentioned in my initial offering. The computer started freezing, etc, etc., and then just would not boot.

:thumbsup:

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

When you turn it on do you hear any beep codes from the PC speaker? These are good diagnostics for a machine that won't even get started.

Try to describe any beep codes (no beeps at all, 1 short, 1 short - 1 long, etc.).

When you turn it on, do you see anything at all on the powered on monitor?

If you see nothing, is there more than on place to plug in the monitor?

Did I miss the part where you checked for the paperclip hole on the CD drive and tried to open the tray? Sometimes if there is a CD stuck in the drive, it takes more gentle persuasion to get it open.

How about the question about if this system has ever worked before (a short history of how you got here).

Did you say you do have a bootable XP installation CD?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 tarheel38

tarheel38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

Jose... here are the answers to the questions you asked...

When you turn it on do you hear any beep codes from the PC speaker? These are good diagnostics for a machine that won't even get started.

NO BEEP CODES FROM SPEAKERS

Try to describe any beep codes (no beeps at all, 1 short, 1 short - 1 long, etc.).

When you turn it on, do you see anything at all on the powered on monitor?

THE MONIOR STAYS BLANK... NOTHING

If you see nothing, is there more than on place to plug in the monitor?

NO... ONLY ONE PLACE FOR MONITOR

Did I miss the part where you checked for the paperclip hole on the CD drive and tried to open the tray? Sometimes if there is a CD stuck in the drive, it takes more gentle persuasion to get it open.

I DID CHECK THAT AND COMMENTED ABOVE. NO CD STUCK.

How about the question about if this system has ever worked before (a short history of how you got here).

AS IS SAID INITIALLY, THE COMPUTER STARTED FREEZING AT BOOT AND THEN SOME TIME BOOTING BUT FREEZING AFTER A FEW MINUTES, ETC., ETC.

Did you say you do have a bootable XP installation CD?

YES, AND ALSO SAID I TRIED IT AND NO BOOT.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

I missed that post - sorry for reiterating.

No beeps and absolutely no video is a bad sign.

Either the power supply or motherboard is probably defective or could be installed incorrectly (or maybe the speaker is not hooked up or it is defective).

You said you replaced the PS with a known good one, so if it was me, I would work recheck all the connections after the replacement PS was installed.

Do you recall if it beeped or had any video at all with the old PS? If not, and you have now tried two PS, then I would suspect the motherboard.

A good sign is generally going to be one short beep.

#9 tarheel38

tarheel38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

P-Supply in other computer is good. Tested them both ways... p-supply is okay... no beeping, no video whatsoever, no CD read, nothing but fans, etc.

I've about decided to just give it up. It was built by someone here and I'll leave it at that. It's not mine so enough is enough.

Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep checking for other suggestions if any.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

You could try clearing the CMOS (on board memory) - just to be sure you leave to stone unturned.

Depending on the MB manufacturer, usually there are 3 pins sticking straight up from the MB and 2 of them are jumpered. It may be labeled CMOS, CLEAR or RESET or something like that. If you can figure oit the MB make & model, you can look it up.

Generally, the process is to remove the jumper (disconnecting the on board battery). Wait a few seconds (probably not really necessary) and replace the jumper, power up and see.

If that works, you will have to set up all the BIOS stuff again of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users