Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dot4Scan.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

Trying to install driver and software for HP office jet K series printer K80 xi.
It is asking for Dot4Scan.sys and is asking for XP home edition disk. I put the disc
in and it should be in the i386 folder, however it is not in there. Is there some where
to get free, reliable download? Is it even necessary?

Is it for scanning? Because there is no scanner on this printer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

You did a search of your C: partition for it? Start/Search...type dot4scan.sys and hit Enter. Must check to search all system and hidden files under the addition search options.

I have two copies of it on my C: partition.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

I could not find the file either, so I did this Windows search (ugh!) and it "found" it, but it within in a cabinet (.cab) file and not a separate file called dot4scan.sys.

The Windows search will look inside the .cab files so it "looks" like it found the file of interest.

Is that consistent with what you see, hamluis?

A cabinet file is a compressed file with lots of other stuff in it.

The cabinet file with dot4scan.sys in it is called driver.cab.

On my system, the driver.cab file is in c:\windows\driver cache\i386

Maneuver your way over there with Explorer, highlight the driver.cab file, right click and Open to reveal the contents.

Locate the dot4scan.sys file, right click, Extract and choose a destination folder.

When you are prompted for the file again during your installation, browse to the destination folder where dot3scan.sys is located or put the file where your installation is looking.

A smart installation program may be happy with just being pointed to the .cab file when looking for .sys files.

The DOS person I am, first I figured this process out from a command prompt, so if you need those instructions, holler.

Edited by joseibarra, 29 June 2009 - 04:57 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

FWIW: For me, path is C:\Windows\System32\dllcache AND the path provided by Jose.

So...I suggest making a copy of the one in the .cab and putting it in the dllcache folder.

Louis

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users