Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this an IRQ conflict?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jasumi

Jasumi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:51 AM

I am not very knowledgeable in IRQ conflicts as of yet, but I have been suffering system freezes when loading OpenGL apps. I think it could be IRQ related.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:12 AM

Fortunately, IRQ Conflicts are pretty much a thing of the past. Today's operating systems can handle "sharing" IRQ's far better than even windows 98 was able to.

OpenGL applications causing freezing on your computer would be more a video driver/video card issue than anything else.

What video card driver version do you have?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Jasumi

Jasumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

Oh, thanks.

I have an HIS HD Radeon 3870x2

I have the Catalyst 8.8 drivers. For some reason, when I update to newer drivers my entire system will blue screen and display a memory dump like "these drivers may cause harm to your hardware" and restart.

So updating to newer drivers isn't an option for me :huh:

Odd thing is, I can play DirectX games just fine.

Edited by Jasumi, 29 June 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#4 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Techextreme is correct, though I have never seen a negative IRQ nor should the gfx card be using 2 irqs neither? Even though the gfx card is a dual card on one board so maybe that part is ok, I have never personally looked into it. If you are concerened you can change the settings in the bios to the opposite of what they are.

ie if you have selected "let os decide" then switch it to bios controlled (i forget the exact teminology used sorry :/ been a long time!)
This would then force an irq reshuffle (and also the drivers may need to be reinstalled as the irq's will be different the devices will be redetected)

The driver issue, try uninstalling the original drivers first, (make sure you have a copy of them to hand incase it doesnt work, system restore is you friend :huh: ) reboot then install latest.
Sometimes vendors make there own drivers as they may have changed something on the board so try the HIS website to see if they offer newer drivers there (though most likely they will redirect you to amd to get the catalyst they have on offer though :/ )

Also are you using daemon tools? I noticed the strange IDE driver, have you tried disabling that too?

Negative Irqs are a weird phenomenon that can be caused by MSI's as explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940394 (but with no resolution so i guess its a "normal" thing?)
So i would put it down to a driver to be honest. But it cant hurt forcing the irqs to re-evaluate (those irq's are virtual as there are only 16 irq's on a system (15 useable as 0 is reserved))

Let me know how you get on!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users