Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMS PortIO

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fermat

fermat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:34 AM

Hi,
an update to this thread from last year, which never seemed to have been completed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...amp;mode=linear

So I'm posting in case it helps someone else.
Exactly the problem described hit me 3 weeks ago. M/c kept freezing. Only on my Admin account, LUA was OK. I was lucky if I could run the Admin account for 10 minutes before it locked up.
Found the CMS PortIO device driver under Device Manager, with the yellow triangle and shoutie mark, as described in the thread above. Had to use
menu bar -> View > enable Show Hidden Devices

Uninstalled the driver.
Found the Registry entry for it -

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\portD
" \portD\Enum
" \portD\Security

Deleted the root key, rebooted, and haven't had a problem since.

btw, the problem began on 06 June immediately after an update to a2free (which I keep for occasional batch scans).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users