Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore : desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:25 AM

problem 1: I restored my computer to 1-2 days ago and my desktop became all disarrayed

in addition, 2 icons are merged 1 on the other...
how do i fix this?

problem 2: by the way... i uninstalled AVG and McAfee for Kaspersky but kaspersky keeps on saying that AVG and mcafee are still on my computer... is there a tool that i can use?

problem 3: when i start up my computer, i arrive at this dark screen that doesnt nothing at all for 30 seconds, i think that i can stop this by editting my registry with something online... should i do it or will it harm my computer?

problem 4: i also want to get rid of the fonts that i have so should i make a back up folder, put the fonts i dont need in there, then delete from the real folder?

Attached Files

Edited by ooweirdoo, 29 June 2009 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

hello

heres a tool for avg http://www.avg.com/download-tools
and McAfee http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Prod...Tool_d5420.html

"having 2 avs on 1 pc is not good".(they fight each other)

as for icons. try this. right click on icon. choose send to desktop (create short cut) if that works delete the old one.
if that dont work. open the app you want to create a shortcut for. and send to desktop & delete the old one.

as for dark screen. i wouldnt mess with registry but there are some tweaks for that.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532

as for fonts. IDK

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

the icons, i tried to copy and paste, delete and make anew but it doesnt work
i also see this in different folders
in addition i went to user>local and deleted the icon cache but it still does not work...

by the way
i have 2 external hard drives hooked on to my computer and restart time = 202 seconds
when i remove it, time = 148 seconds

however, this 148 seconds is still a great amount of time.... what can i do?

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

hello

go to
start>
type run>
click on run>
type msconfig>
ok>
continue>
start up tab

how many unnessasary programs are automatically starting up? most people run a program called autorun to stop programs from automatically starting.
if you uncheck the box next to program in startup tab. click apply. see if its any better.

as for shortcut & folder problems im not sure. maybe someone else will know more about it.

good luck

ps did you try some of the tweaks?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users