Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

good safe free music source for downloads (if any)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dabodan69

dabodan69

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

So this site so far has been very good to me and just want to know if there is such a thing as a free internet site thats safe to upload free mp3 music? Limewire always seems to give me a virus or sumthing. Any thoughts?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

If you want to get free music that is copyright and that you should normally pay for, then the answer is no.

Having said that, most record labels offer limited free downloads, such as this one.

Edited by Budapest, 28 June 2009 - 11:15 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

There's tons and tons of free and legal music available on the internet. Unfortunately, "tons and tons" does you no good if it's not what you want to hear. If it's copyrighted music, currently being sold by a major label, you're probably going to be out of luck. Still, many bands release a track or two for promotional purposes, Itunes offers a free download regularly, Amazon offers quite a few free (or remarkably cheap) downloads. (I did once download a 4 track EP from Amazon -- I was only interested in one of the songs, but I got a kick out of seeing a charge of four cents on my credit card statement.) Here in the States NPR and many local NPR affiliates offer free downloads from artists who are appearing on shows. If you're a fan of a particular artist, check their web sites (or the sites of their labels) for free downloadable tracks -- especially if they're pushing a new release.

Sites like Last.fm don't offer as many free downloads as they used to, but there's still quite a few tracks you can download, free and legal. You probably have to register to download, but it's free. Again, you're not going to find free downloads from top current artists.

If your tastes are more eclectic, you're probably in a better position. Many artists permit shows to be taped and distributed. Phish and the Grateful Dead are the best known, but quite a few others covering a wide variety of genres are available. The first place to check for these live recordings would be the Live Music Archive at Archive.org -- http://www.archive.org/index.php -- maintained by Etree. If it's here it's legal, and the Archive is very safe. I'd recommend almost anything by Kaki King, Vienna Teng, Bob Schneider, or Railroad Earth for starters.

In the Audio archive try looking under the "netlabels" collection. You are much more likely to find stuff like ambient and electronic music here -- not much pop.

If you do like electronic, ambient, IDM (intelligent dance music), etc., you might check out a netlabel like the Kahvi Collective -- http://kahvi.org/index.php Mikael Fyrek, for instance, makes really nice music in a Vangellis vein. (I will admit that I actually prefer this kind of music, so this has been great for me!)

Good luck!

EDIT: Thought of another artist I like!

Edited by Capn Easy, 04 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users