Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD errors on new install of XP Home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jabroy

jabroy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi, Back for assistance again.....

I'm trying to install a new copy of XP Home on a computer that I didn't have the original password too. It was a workstation of a former employee that was terminated and I didn't have the password so am trying to re-install the operating system.

I booted up from the CD fine and was able to re-format the drive NTFS. Windows Setup completed its file copy portion of the install and didn't have a problem until the reboot. At that point, the Windows XP logo would stay up for a few seconds then would either reboot itself continuously until the BSOD would come up. One Stop MSG: 0X0000008E referenced file KSecDD.sys at Addr: F777B4E0 and another Stop Msg: 0X000000D1 referenced atapi.sys at Addr: F778AFD2.

I tried to boot up in Safe Mode but still would stop on one of these two files.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You say that you formatted...did you delete all existing partitions before attempting the install from the XP CD?

I would also run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive (before attempting the install), Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

The password should not matter if all partitions/structures are deleted, unless it's a BIOS password. I'm not sure how those work, have never used one on a system.

If this is a work system...don't you have an IT department/point-of-contact...that handles these things?

Louis

#3 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

Hi Louis,

Yes I did delete the partition before formatting the drive.

I ran the Western Digital Quick and Extended drive tests for my 40GB drive and found no errors on either test.

It does not have a BIOS password. I can get into the bios easily.

And I am the makeshift IT department. I had a small business with about eight computers that I had been able to keep going because they never really had any problems. My business folded and I was unable to capture this particular user's password that was put in so had to re-format.

So with the diagnostics not finding any errors on either test, that points somewhere other than the hard drive doesn't it? I have been going through the bios looking for anything that doesn't look right but have found the problem yet.

I have disable the memory shadowing and re-enabled it but neither setting had any effect.

I can't start in Safe mode or any other setting on the F8 menu.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well...I would try the install again...don't know any other thing to do since the hard drive reflects no problems.

Louis

#5 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

I tried to rerun the install and it continues to halt on Windows logo. When I try to get into any item on the F8 menu , it will list the files and stop there or give me the BSOD.

The atapi.sys is for the Cdrom isn't it? I have disabled it in the bios but have not physically unplugged it. Maybe I'll try that. I have been trying to find help at the microsoft support site, but it doesn't specifically have my problem listed. They ask for the dump file that I don't have because I'm not starting up at all.

I have loaded all the defaults that I could find in the bios to no avail. Do you have any other resources or suggestions I might try??

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

A clean install is my last line of offense :thumbsup:, sorry.

Louis

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

I found a few references to KsecDD.sys and error 0x8E on the internet. Most pointed to ntfs corruption although my instincts tell me there's more to this than NTFS corruption on your drive. I can't really see corruption as you've wiped the partitions and reformatted your hard drive.

My thoughts lean more toward memory problems. I would download MemTest86+ from here: http://www.memtest.org/

Run it on your computer against the memory in your computer. I'm not really a betting man, but I'm going to bet you have a memory issue.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#8 jabroy

jabroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hi Techextreme,

This problem seems to defy all efforts to fix it. But it becoming more of a project because I'm even more curious to find out what the real issue is. I ran the memory test 86 program as you suggested and after two complete passes, it found exactly no errors at all. None.

I did try something else before I tried the memory test that got me a little further in the install process but it still eventually halted on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD but this time with different address locations.

I disabled the L1 and L2 cache in the bios and the machine did move further along in the install procedure. It completed the initial start up logo screen where it had been halting before and did actually get down to the installing windows portion. I didn't write them down but I think it was about the fourth of the six install icons. It then rebooted itself a couple times and then continuously brought up the BSOD. The 3 different addresses that I copied down were F777B5E0, F778AFD2 AND F76282D4. I don't know if that sheds any light on the situation though.

I've tried two different install cd's and have done both quick and full formats mulitiple times.

Could the CPU itself be bad? I have another of the same model machine that also has it's own problems. It doesn't send a signal to the monitor. So maybe I'll swap CPU's and see if that makes a difference...

Appreciate your help....

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users