Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speeding up computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dabodan69

dabodan69

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

any suggestions on how to speed up my computer! installed mcafee 3-user total protection and comp has been running slower since. already tried the mcafee troubleshoot wizard. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

EDIT: Moved to More appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 30 June 2009 - 08:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

any suggestions on how to speed up my computer! installed mcafee 3-user total protection and comp has been running slower since. already tried the mcafee troubleshoot wizard. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

From my experience and other people's complaints, McAfee is a major slowdown for any machine.
Computer Pro

#3 Jimboxy

Jimboxy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

What kind of OS are you using?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for some people may not work for others.
Since the issue began after you installed McAfee it is possible that McAfee doesn't play nice with your system.
The solution is to uninstall McAfee and use another firewall and antivirus.
I installed McAfee on a computer I had years ago. It made my system crawl slower than a turtle. The only way I could get rid of it was a format and reinstall of XP. Drastic measure for me to take. You should be able to use Add Remove programs to get rid of it. After the uninstall, run the McAfee removal tool found here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

If installed on other computers, you can leave it if there it isn't causing any issues.

If you want to purchase a program, BEFORE purchasing and installing it, go to the website for that program. See if there is a trial use offer. If there is, install and use it in order to find out if/how it affects your machine. This will also allow you to evaluate the program features-is it easy to use and understand?
It will not take you long to find out if it would be a good fit for your system.
You could also switch to free a free firewall and antivirus.
A list of recommended free programs can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 June 2009 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users