Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet gets disconnected every 15-20 minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rohit.r.i

rohit.r.i

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

I have a brand bew HP computer with Windows XP Professional service pack 2
Am using a cable internet connection and its a simple connection for just this computer. I don't have a router but a cable modem that is provided by my ISP and it's plugged directly into the computer(Wired connection).
The problem is that once I start using the internet , after 15 to 30 minutes(varies randomly) I get disconnected. I have all the lights in the modem but I won't be able to access the internet.
When I release and renew the ipconfig, I will be connected back for another 15 to 30 minutes and again the same thing happens.
Everytime I have to manually release and renew the ipconfig to get back the internet access.
I contacted my ISP and they checked all aspects of the connection and told me that everything is properly configured form their end and it could be a problem with my computer.
It's a brand new computer and there is no virus or spyware problem.

I don't have any external firewalls installed
Am using BitDefender Antivirus 2009 and seriously don't believe it's causing the problem
I need help and you are the last resort
Even if you can't solve the problem can you please tell me if there is a way to automatically release and renew the ipconfig every 20 minutes or so?
Because That seems to work and I can't do it manually everytime the connection gets lost.

Please help me out.......

Thank you,
Rohit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

If you are using Windows XP SP2, then it sounds like you have not run Windows Update since you have gotten the computer. How long has it been since you have done so?
Computer Pro

#3 rohit.r.i

rohit.r.i
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hi,
Am unable to do any major updates or downloads because of this problem because I have to sit throughout the entire period of the download and release and renew the ipconfig every 15 to 30 minutes...It's really tiresome

#4 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Have you tried checking all of the IP property settings to ensure they're set to automatically set to get them from the server/ISP? I know it's a stupid thing, but I've experienced on two separate occasions that workstations have "forgotten" that they were configured correctly and just needed me to run through the steps, not touch anything, and hit OK before they'd start working again.

Edit: Make sure you also open the advance settings and look at everything hitting OK without actually making any changes. If you do notice something that's off, it's a good time to correct it.

If you have access to a computer elsewhere, I'd also recommend downloading SP3 here onto a flash drive or some other external device and just run the installer offline. It's possible that a simple update could correct the problem if it's a registry issue.

Edited by Ingle, 29 June 2009 - 04:24 PM.

#5 Zer0Man

Zer0Man

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Check your HOSTS file...

In Windows XP: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

The file can be opened with Notepad or another text editor. It contains comments that begin with the character # - these can be left alone.

The HOSTS file should contain only one other line: 127.0.0.1 localhost

Any other lines of text can be removed. After editing it save the file and close it. Now try to update.

PLEASE NOTE: The above is different for Vista users.

#6 rohit.r.i

rohit.r.i
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

I have checked the host file...It's perfect and I did download and upgrade to the service pack 3...The issue still persists....Is there any software or a program which can release and renew my IP Address every 20 minutes or so?
I think this is the only solution....If the IP address resets in 15 minutes automatically, I can download everything and actually start working on the internet.
Please help...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users