Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New One on Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

I was troubleshooting a client's 5 year old custom built desktop, his video projects were crashing in Windows MovieMaker, after eliminating software and malware problems I ran windows as a repair disk and then even did a clean install.

Noticed one glitch when removing outlook express, booted up with memtest and ran, found a bunch of errors after 20 minutes in one section of the 512 meg stick.

Robbed another old computer and put matching 512's in and ran another clean install, MovieMaker still crashed, so I assumed it was corrupted/fragmented files, did a data transfer to another drive freeing up space on his data partition, found large folders full of waves he had recorded, when I converted to mp3 with MusicMatch more crashes.

Ran memtest again, new ram was fine, everest said the cpu was fine, got a bright light after cleaning computer and saw that the 6 larger capacitors around the cpu had slightly bulging tops.

Pulled the memory and his hard drive and dvd burners, put in the other computer, clean install of xp and everything works great.

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

If this is what you're talking about or they're even close to this, then you are a victim of "Popped Capacitors".

2 options. Replace the motherboard or replace the capacitors on the existing motherboard.

Sorry for the bad news,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

That's what had me confused, a quick inspection showed no electrolite leaking or even any side bulge, which I have run into before, and usually made the mobo inoperative.
The top bulging was almost indiscernible.
Chewy

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Was it an ASUS board?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

Asrock by Asus

tall skinny black caps

Attached Files

Chewy

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:49 PM

Asus is good for running either 2200uf ( microfarad ) 6.3v or 2700uf 6.3v capacitors in the area of the voltage regulator. If you are "handy" with a soldering iron and a desoldering iron, you can replace these easily.

If you find that these are 2200uf or 2700uf 6.3v capacitors, I have noticed that Asus will replace these with the same value but 10v capacitors.

If you are going to replace them yourself, make sure you get capacitors rated for 105 degree celsius. A good manufacturer would be Nichicon.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 28 June 2009 - 10:52 PM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

make sure you get capacitors rated for 105 degree celsius

I suspected heat, case was extremely dirty and used the smaller case fan.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users