Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 1510 low-very low wireless signal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spazz22

spazz22

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi,

My roommate recently purchased a brand new Dell Vostro 1510 laptop. There are two other laptops in this house sharing the same access point (D-Link WBR-1310). A Dell 630m laptop and an HP laptop. These two laptops have a Very Good to Excellent signal strength.

The brand new Dell Vostro 1510 constantly has a Low to Very low signal strength, even when standing in the same room as the router.

From what I can tell, the wireless card is a Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/g Mini.

The D-Link WBR 1310 is configure for 802.11g mode only. Could it be that his wireless card is not compatible with the "router"?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by spazz22, 28 June 2009 - 06:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

The intel 3945 is an A,B,G card.

Two things I would try. First thing, I would open the cover on the bottom of the laptop where the wireless card is and make sure both antennas are connected securely to the wireless card itself.

After that, I think I would go with an upgrade to the newest Intel 3945ABG drivers from Intel located here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...59&lang=eng

You will have to pick your operating system from the drop down list and go from there.

After these two checks and updates, I think I would contact Dell about the wireless card in your laptop.

Hope this Helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users