Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no audio controller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dabodan69

dabodan69

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

just got this computer up and running, but have not been able to get sound at all from speakers. pretty sure i need a new multimedia audio controller or something like that, but not sure if i need a certain type or not. can anyone help me?

if this helps, this is my system

microsoft windows xp
home addition
version 2002
sevice pack 2

intel®
pentium ® 4 cpu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

You need to install the drivers for the audio component. Until that occurs, there is no audio controller installed on the system.

Someone can post a link for the drivers...if you tell us the manufacturer and model of the computer (e.g., Dell Dimension 3000).

Or you can go directly to the manufacturer's website and download the audio drivers yourself, then instsll same.

This may help: How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#3 dabodan69

dabodan69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

thank you for your quick response, i tried going to the tutorial section and tried to get a manufacturer upgrade, but they all want money. not sure if you know of a free safe site i might be able to upload this?

manufacturer: ATI Technologies
RADEON X300 series
driver version: 8.23.0.0
file version: 6.14.10.0310

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

ATI makes video cards/chips...they do not make sound cards/chips.

Drivers for any ATI chip/card are found readily at several websites...if you intend to install new video drivers. Try the ATI/AMD website first.

You still haven't provided the manufacturer and model for the computer...ATI makes/sells chipsets to companies like Dell, as well as to motherboard manufacturers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users