Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about live cds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 isosoclese

isosoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I want to try a newbie friendly distro (the test recommended opensuse) but I don't know how/where to get a live cd.
There was a link to buy a live cd, but I thought there were free options and i dont want to pay.
I've looked at the downloading help sectionon the site, but i got lost...

so...

--which live cd is best for someone with very little computer knowledge?
--where/how can I get it?
--and what about live usb?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

If you don't mind waiting 3 weeks for delivery stateside, Ubuntu will ship you a CD for free.
It requires 300mb of memory to work properly.
Good idea to use as a live CD to see if it recognizes your hardware, etc. before installing.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu is probably the most used Linux distro and is considered user friendly. You can download
Ubuntu if you don't want to wait.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Create a Bootable Ubuntu USB Flash Drive the Easy Way
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/creat...e-the-easy-way/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

openSUSE download page - The site is pretty straightforward. When you download the ISO image, make sure you burn it to a CD correctly. Don't simply drag-and-drop the image to the CD. Get some CD burning software and select Burn ISO image or something similar.

This site will help you install openSUSE on a flash drive

Edited by MadDawg, 28 June 2009 - 07:28 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

openSUSE download page - The site is pretty straightforward. When you download the ISO image, make sure you burn it to a CD correctly. Don't simply drag-and-drop the image to the CD. Get some CD burning software and select Burn ISO image or something similar.

This site will help you install openSUSE on a flash drive

I got openSUSE 11.0 w/ Linux Magazine at Micro Center. I am enjoying learning Linux, just wish I could use the Terminal better, still learning commands. Cheers!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

Knoppix is great LiveCD. They started the concept of LiveCD

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users