Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical Network, Driver issues - please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tylerboy1969

tylerboy1969

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

First of all, Thank You for your time and courtesy in reading this post. You helped me with Malware some time ago, and I much appreciate it.

I am experiencing a host of issues so I will do my best to keep this explanation clear and as close to complete as possible. To begin with, here are the basics of my computer system:

Windows Vista Home Premium/ Service Pack 1
Gateway GT5408 Intel Core 2CPU 4300 @ 1.80 GHZ 1.80 GHZ
Memory 1 GB 32 bit Operating System
Local disk: 242 GB free of 288 GB
Broadband Internet Service
Protections:
AntiVirus is Norton Internet Security (latest version) . I run this at least twice a week.
CCLeaner. I run this at least twice a week.
AdAware (sort of Ė see below)

EXPLANATION:

Several months ago my computer became sluggish and has gotten worse over time. It often takes several minutes for an individual email to open, a browser to open, a page to load, right-click drop-down menu to open, navigation to take effect; when I have more than one program open, the system canít handle them running at the same time (i.e. Firefox and Word)

Iíve been getting messages like:

'Host processes stopped working and has been closed.'

'ERROR: A Network Error Occurred While Trying to Read from the file [insert name of file]'; as well as great sluggishness with every program and software Iíve loaded.

Sometimes, Iíll try to open a webpage and the hourglass symbol prompts me to wait Ė Iíll leave things as is, go to work, come home 10 hours later...and it is still asking me to wait. I constantly get ('Not responding' messages) while I wait, or while vista shuts things down because theyíre not responding.

Mouse cursor disappears for no apparent reason as the screen Ďsoft-freezesí (with hourglass).

General screen Ďhard-freezesí (meaning there is no hourglass- totally frozen) lasting from seconds to minutes.

Iíve had AdAware, which Iíve always loved, and one day it wouldnít open, with the computer telling me that this is already open by another user, or ĎYou Have Insufficient Privileges to Access.í I tried to open as Administrator, to no avail. Iíve tried to uninstall Ė to no avail. Iíve tried to install the latest version of AdAware in the hopes that it would uninstall it for me and install the fresh version cleanly Ė to no avail.

Iím certain my computer is also loaded down now with adware that AdAware canít currently help me with because it isnít working. Also, I tried going in and removing the pieces of AdAware myself, but it seems I didnít do a thorough job based on my status as a novice.

There are problems with my Network Adaptors as seen in the Device manager:
Five rows of the 6TO4 Adapter. When I right click on properties, it says: 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).'

The Intel Pro100 is working properly, but will not update.
Then, below that on the next line is:
isatap.{02CD4724-38DF-4FC1-8B35-6D6BB271D1A7}. When I read the properties, it reads: 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).'

Furthermore, my DVD/CD drive disappeared. The driver for it, ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device will not work. Properties says: 'This device cannot start. (Code 10).' I tried uninstalling it, then rebooting to let the system re-install it, but that didnít work.

The Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller is working properly according to Properties, but when I try to update it, it rejects the update.

I purchased Pareto Logic Driver cure, which was able to update some drivers and software, but not the ones noted above. When I tried to update Intel Network Connections, I get a message near the end of the installation process: 'Network Monitor for Intel Hub Connect Technology has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'

When I used Driver Cure to update the ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device in the hope that it would find a way, I got this message near the end of installation: 'Important: remove teams and Vlans configured on Intel Pro Network connections before removing drivers.' HUH?!?

I have tried finding solutions online, with Microsoft and other sources before bothering you folks, and Iíve lost all hope. I do have HiJackThis if you need an HJ log.

Thank you again for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

hello tyler
do you have recovery discs? does your system have a recovery partition? do you have all your important data backed up (twice)
try a system file checker 1st.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...a-system-files/
see if that helps.

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 tylerboy1969

tylerboy1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi, Ken. Yes, I have a Recovery disk (D drive - don't know how to use it. Don't know if it regularly backs up the computer).

Also, I have Carbonite service.

I will take a look at the link you sent. Thank you.

#4 tylerboy1969

tylerboy1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Kenny,

I performed that scan you recommended and the result was: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

tyler

see if you can download and run malwarebytes its a very good program. (free)
http://majorgeeks.com/download5756.html

see if this helps your dvd problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Have A Great Day

#6 tylerboy1969

tylerboy1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Kenny,

Thanks for those links. The MS page helped me fix the disc drive issue, and the Malware program found a hijacker. I am still work ing on fixing the other issues since the system is still sluggish and weak. The network drivers still aren't loading. I will keep digging.

Thanks again.

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

tyler very good

your system is probably sluggish and weak due to the lack of RAM. vista is not meant to run (very well) on 1gb of ram.
you realy need to look into more ram. at least 1 more gb.

you can go here and it will tell exactly what ram to buy. then either buy from them or run up to best buy or a local store of your choice.
http://www.crucial.com/?cpe=pd_google_us&a...:20090629231737

heres something to read about. may help out until you can get some ram.

i dont understand you said in 1st post. 5 rows of 6TO4 Adapter ? are they all the same? if yes uninstall 4 of them. then uninstall the 5th ones drivers reboot see if its any better.(windows will reinstall automatically). can you take a screen shot of device manager with network adaptors expanded?

your making progress :huh:
Have A Great Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users