Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaput Optiarc DVD RW AD - 7560A ATA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi,
My Sony Vaio VGN-CR 410E with Vista quit playing any discs. Device mgr says it's installed, working properly, and can't find any updates. I want to try to reinstall the driver. None of the regular driver sites seem to have it, or they say a link has been sent to my email. Checking email with my good laptop. I never recieve the links even after joining their site. Some sites insist no driver is needed since the preloaded Vista drivers should be sufficient. Others talk about upper and lower filter problems being the culprit. I am fairly experenced but never encountered these filters before. I did have an overheating prob last week, at which point Vaio started crashing and quit playing discs, which I've sorted out by cleaning fan and changing power settings from max performance to max power economy. Could I have toasted my DVD player? No visiable evidence or melted wire to be found. Please help.
Cheers
mannshands
PS. tried to uninstall/reinstall, it was recognized and reinstalled, still not working

Edited by mannshands, 28 June 2009 - 12:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

When the CD drive is missing
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

As I first stated...The drive is recognized, device mgr says it is working properly. I eventually got the driver from a chinese site. Didn't help. This fix you mention is for a situation where the device is not found by WIN.
Is there a tool that forces some kind of test on the hardware?
THX
mannshands

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

FWIW: All optical drives use the same driver...which is supplied automatically by Windows.

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/company/SONY/DVD-ROM.html

Note that those are firmware updates...there are no drivers listed there (for the reason stated previously).

You could insert a bootable CD into the drive (e.g., a Windows XP install CD, a diagnostic CD for a hard drive, etc.). If the drive is working, the initial boot screen for the disk in question will appear.

Louis

#5 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

Have a look in your disk management service and see if you can see the drive in there, i recently had my drive stop working annd a phantom cdrom appeared. When this happened all my drives dissappeared from disk manager which in turn ended up being a nasty rootkit. I may be way off the mark but its worth having a check!

But as already stated, nearly all optical drives these days run from a windows driver thats part of the OS.

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users