Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZT Systems / Heatsinks with Intel Core i7 920 help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alvinz95

alvinz95

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

1. Question on ZT Systems compared to self-built computer

I found a great deal for a Intel Core i7 920 computer for $850, but I'm afraid that the company that assembled this is sketchy and the computer is lower quality regarding the fans, case, motherboard, and heatsink. Here is the computer: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...=en-US&s=1#
The video card is average, and that is the only con to it.

My second option is building a similar computer on Newegg, but with a better case, fan, graphics card, and motherboard. The total cost is around $900. Here is the build on newegg.

Intel Core i7 920
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Harddrive
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W
Dvd Burner

Which would be a better choice in your opinion?

2. Question regarding Heatsinks and fans

With my build for the Intel Core i7 920 above, would I need extra heatsinks and fans to keep it cool? I read on Newegg that there is a heatsink/fan included with the Intel Core i7 920 processor. Is an additional one needed?

Is 500 watts power supply enough to power that computer build?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

If you are comfortable building your own that is the way to go.
If you build you get exactly what you want .
If there is a problem with a part you are dealing with the manufacturer on the warranty & don't have to ship the whole unit back & forth for repair.

"would I need extra heatsinks and fans to keep it cool?"

Unless you are planing on drastically overclocking the CPU the fan that comes with it should be good enough.
I would pick a case with a "air tube" in the side cover & add at least a 80mm rear exhaust fan if the case doesn't come with one.

The power supply you chose for the build is good.
[The pre built only comes with a 450W]

If it were me for a extra $10. I would consider the Antec EA650,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371015
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Why do you want the i7? Do you edit video or just have money to burn? Or do you just want one? I'm a firm believer in "just wanting one" as a good excuse for anything I can pay for lol. You could save a ton of cash (and get a much better GPU) by using a dual core and cheaper MoBo. Also your RAM would cost less as well.

The Antex 300.......... i wouldn't. i have the Antec 900 and it was hard enough to build in space wise and the 300 is even smaller. But the 900 has much better airflow. I added a CPU cooler, but in hindsight I really didn't need to, the problem I thought was heat related turned out not to be. I agree with your accessment of the Costco computer. Those would be my concerns as well.

Don't forget you will need an OS and that adds around 100 bucks to the price. I don't know if they still have it, but Newegg last weekend was running a deal on both 64 bit Home premium and 64 bit Ultimate that included a coupon for a free Win7 upgrade when it is released. You will need a 64 bit system to "see" your 6 GB's of RAM, and I think Vista is going to be to Win7 what Win2k was to XP so that looks like a good deal to me. LOL I'm just going to be stuck with buying Win7 as I have Ultimate without a free upgrade.

I also agree with Fairjoeblue that for 10 bucks, get the 650.

In all, you are usually better off building than buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users