Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation feature

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Can disableing the hibernation feature on windows xp give you a little performance boost.
I am only using 512 of ram, and just wondered if this might help my computer along a bit

Thanks all :thumbsup:
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

Well...it eliminates a multi-GB file which I consider unnecessary (hiberfil.sys) and it never hurts to remove processes such as indexing, hibernation, and system restore (I do not employ Windows SR, I make routine backups of the system and trust myself to be able to overcome minor hiccups which might occur)...if the user does not employ such.

When I do a clean install, those and the messenger service are the first items I disable.

Louis

#3 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

Well...it eliminates a multi-GB file which I consider unnecessary (hiberfil.sys) and it never hurts to remove processes such as indexing, hibernation, and system restore

OK hamluis, i can try that, i do use the hibernation feature quite alot, but just been giving this computer a quick service
And thought i would try a few new ways to give it a performance boost

I make routine backups of the system and trust myself to be able to overcome minor hiccups which might occur)

Just on the point of backing up, i am interested in making routine backups of the system, could you give me a breif desciption on how you would do this.....

The reason i asked, is that i have just got a new laptop + an external hard drive, so the time has come now to consider ways of backing up as i am increasingly getting more files/folders on both machines.
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

Lots of options for backing up.

I tend to do systematic backups of the C: partition, using software I purchased in 2001/2002...which is now one of the precursors of Symantec's Ghost.

I have an excess number of hard drives...so I store my backups, copies of my music files, and all .mpg files on those.

But I also have simply made a clone of the C: partition, using a free cloning program (Easeus Partition Master) and placed this on one of the hard drives which I don't use regularly.

Regardless of technique a user might employ...it's the regularity of the backup which is important, IMO.

In the 12 years-plus that I have had a system...I've only lost data one time...and that was my own fault. I mistakenly formatted a hard drive containing a number of basketball games I had made into .mpg files...and I chose to use a cheap program to try to recover those files. I've gotten smarter and now have a program that actually recovers anything I might want from a troubled drive :thumbsup:, experience tends to make some of us a bit wiser.

Since hard drives are so cheap and so large now...I would tend to suggest cloning, rather than using backup software, as my preferred method. No muss, no fuss...simply remove the old drive, connect the new.

Backup plans/schemes/methods...will vary with the individual...mine works for me, may not work for others.

Google has a lot of info on the concepts/practices one might employ.

Louis

#5 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

Lots of options for backing up.

I tend to do systematic backups of the C: partition, using software I purchased in 2001/2002...which is now one of the precursors of Symantec's Ghost.

I have an excess number of hard drives...so I store my backups, copies of my music files, and all .mpg files on those.

But I also have simply made a clone of the C: partition, using a free cloning program (Easeus Partition Master) and placed this on one of the hard drives which I don't use regularly.

Regardless of technique a user might employ...it's the regularity of the backup which is important, IMO.

In the 12 years-plus that I have had a system...I've only lost data one time...and that was my own fault. I mistakenly formatted a hard drive containing a number of basketball games I had made into .mpg files...and I chose to use a cheap program to try to recover those files. I've gotten smarter and now have a program that actually recovers anything I might want from a troubled drive :thumbsup:, experience tends to make some of us a bit wiser.

Since hard drives are so cheap and so large now...I would tend to suggest cloning, rather than using backup software, as my preferred method. No muss, no fuss...simply remove the old drive, connect the new.

Backup plans/schemes/methods...will vary with the individual...mine works for me, may not work for others.

Google has a lot of info on the concepts/practices one might employ.

Louis

Thankyou for all that information 'hamluis'
No doubt i will pick up ways and methods as i go along, but for now i just back up pitures,music,video's, personal files.
Until i get a bit more advanced in the ways of backing up.

Thankyou again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users