Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal IDE Optical Drive Won't Boot Disks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

I'm having a very frustrating problem with my IDE optical drive.

Inside of Windows it works perfectly. I can burn CD's, rip CD's, burn DVD's, and rip DVD's. I can listen to music CD's, watch movies, etc. I can do perform any task with an optical drive I want to do inside of Windows.

Outside of Windows is a completely different story. I can't boot any CD's or DVD's. When I try to boot the Ultimate Boot CD for example it gives the following error: "Error booting from CD/DVD drive. Press any key to reboot". Trying to boot from an XP disk gives the following error "Cannot find NTDLR". At this point it appears that the drive may be defective, but why does it work inside of Windows?

In an effort to troubleshoot the problem I switched DVD drives with a known working one. It boots disks and runs perfectly also inside of Windows. It also uses an IDE interface so that rules out the port and the cable. Only problem is, I can't switch to this drive permanently.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this problem? (I don't want to get another optical drive)

Specs
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Abit IP35-E LGA775 motherboard with Revision 15 BIOS
2GB DDR2 800 (runs at DDR2 802 speeds for some odd reason in BIOS)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (previously used XP, problem persisted)
500w Seasonic power supply
eVGA 9600GSO
Other non-important stuff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

Usually one of the first signs of CD drive failure is the inability to start bootable disks.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

Okay, I fixed the problem.

It turns out for some odd reason the computer didn't want to use the DVD drive that was in the computer. I switched out the burner with another known working burner in a different computer (also IDE). I tried booting from it and it worked.

Then I put the burner that was suspect in to the computer from where I got the other one, it worked too, booted disks just fine. No errors, nothing at all.

So in other words, both drives work just fine. I'm not sure what happened and why the burner decided it didn't want to work properly with the burner, but the problem is fixed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

A similar thing has happened to me :thumbsup:, computing is an art, not a science :flowers:.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I think the gremlins are staying at my house for now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users