Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much of my computer can I access from an external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sac02

sac02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

I'm sure that title is confusing. Basically, I'm going to be moved around a bunch by my company for the next two years, living in extended-stay hotels, and can't bring my desktop. I have LOTS of data, music, programs, etc. that would take FOREVER to try and somehow transfer to my laptop (this is, if it all would even fit on the laptop HD - it won't).

Can I just yank the HD out of the desktop and put it in an external enclsure and still have access to everything? I'm thinking there might be a good chance I could access the data, music, etc. But what about running programs that are installed on that drive?

The desktop is XP and the laptop is Vista if it matters.

I didn't know exactly where to put this question, if this is a poor choice of forum will a mod please move it to the appropriate place?

Thanks in advance,

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

I don't think you would be able to run programs with that plan...but you should be able to access all data files. Programs would not work from a USB connection

If necessary, I would just get a large enough laptop hard drive, they are quite large these days, http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/07/12/s...pacity-at-15tb/ and then I would clone the system partition currently in the laptop...create other partitions and then transfer data files from the desktop to the laptop.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#3 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hi!

Yes, it is, indeed, a bit of an awkward question. Firstly, let me see if I got this right:
You have an internal drive that you'd like to make portable, ie. external.

The answer is "possibly".

Can I just yank the HD out of the desktop and put it in an external enclsure and still have access to everything?

Has the enclosure been opened? Can you see what's inside? What type of Hard Drive connectivity is there (SATA or IDE?)
Next, you'll need to open your PC's case and check the hard drive in question. Check to make sure that the connectivity matches. Also, you'll need to check the jumper settings to makes sure that it's set on auto. If all checks out, you can move the hard drive across to the external case.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by aommaster, 02 July 2009 - 11:24 AM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users