Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS-DOS 16 bit Windows Subsystem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 perplexed22

perplexed22

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

I got this message when trying to install a game.

16 bit Winodows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MIcrosoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:27 PM

What game is it?
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

If you are using XP, Microsoft has a support page with steps to follow for resolution.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324767

Let us know if that works.
JC

#4 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

The link worked after going through every step. Thanks.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

Great! Thanks for letting us know.
JC

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:27 PM

YES!!! finally i can play all my 16-bit games!!! thank you!!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:14 AM

NO!!!! I cant play any of my games... even after doing all this!!! hmph....

i will get the ereor box wording soon

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

16bit_fix

Try this, I've had this problem on some PC's and this fix worked.

When users attempt to start an MS-DOS based or 16-bit Windows application in Windows XP an error similar to:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

or

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

may appear.  Download 16bit_fix.exe by from the link below.  When it is downloaded, double-click it to run it.  It reinstalls the missing  or corrupt  XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt which cause the error.

Note:  If the error message returns when the system is rebooted, the autoexec.nt file has been deleted.  You can prevent this from occurring by temporarily locating autoexec.nt in C:\Windows\system32, right-clicking it, selecting "Properties" and making it "Read only."  This problem is caused by a virus or spyware.  When the precise cause is identified that information (as well as corrective measures) will be added here.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:25 AM

When you get the 16 bit subsystem error it means that your root files of Config.nt,
Autoexec.nt and/or Command.com are missing or corrupt as Joshuacats link shows. The quick fix is 16bit_fix.exe. This will rebuild those files. If you are getting this error it usually means these files have been corrupted with malware.

Oops - stidyup beat me to it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:32 AM

Sorry to hear that legoman786. Just open a new topic with your exact error message, and we will try to help you. It appears that this helped perplexed22 with his/her exact error message.

Good link, stidyup. I am sure that automates the lengthy MS support process that I linked above.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users