Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup / Can't go online - Possible worm?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FNX

FNX

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:11 AM

My first post - good day to all.

OS - XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2

A 3 part problem that may or may not be related to each other. I went on a little trip with my laptop and it seems like it stayed in "holiday mode" while I came back to reality.

1) I woke up and turned on my laptop sometime this week and I noticed that it was unusually slow in loading windows. What I expected was for windows to put my wallpaper up first before all those lil icons. In this case though, no icons. It now takes windows roughly 7 minutes before my icons show up.

2) That same moment, I noticed that I wasn't able to go online. I was able to connect to the wifi though that they offered in the hotel.

3) I finally got frustrated this evening and started to look around the laptop. I put Task Manager up and sorted the process names. I noticed that I had 7 svchost.exes running so I decided to end one of them to see what would happen. As soon as I pressed "End Process" I got this window:

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Time before shutdown : 00:00:59

Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server PRocess Launcher service terminated unexpectedly"

:thumbsup: :flowers:

It also seems like my batt life has gotten from bad to worse over the span of a week - my laptop went from being able to go about 20 minutes without being plugged in to about 2 minutes which is just nuts.

So any advice from our gurus on this site. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Btw, the laptop is my work laptop - tons of important files that I admit I have not been backing up as regularly as I should.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

One of the things you mention is that you have 7 instances of svchost.exe running. While 7 may seem to be unusual, it is not unheard of. What I would suggest is finding out what those 7 instances really are by taking a look at the following: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process

Knowing what is actually running may help you diagnose and pinpoint the underlying cause of your slowdown.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 FNX

FNX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

will do- be back in 10 minutes

Edited by FNX, 28 June 2009 - 09:23 AM.

#4 FNX

FNX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi again:

Im not sure if I am doing this right but here it goes:
1) Dcom Launch

2) Remote Procedure Call

3) Windows Audio
Cryptographic Service
DHCP Client
Logical Disk Manager
COM+ Event System
Help and Support
Server
Workstation
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Access Connection Manager
Task Scheduler
Secondary Logon
System Event NOtification
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
Shell Hardware Detection
Telephony
Themes
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Windows Management Instrumentation
Security Center
Wireless Zero Configuration

4) DNS Client

5) TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
SSDP Discovery Service

6) WebClient

7) Windows Image Aquisition

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

One thing that you might do...check Event Viewer for possible errors which might provide clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Is the system current with critical updates?

Any other apparent system anomalies...other than icons and slowness?

<>

I guess that I don't understand that comment. You weren't able to go online, yet you did?

Louis

#6 FNX

FNX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

Will check event viewer in a bit - just have to finish something.

What I meant by it was that I was able to connect to the wifi router but not go online - like the internet connection itself was down or something - even though my friends could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users