Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer still slow after going through "the checklist"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Garfinator

Garfinator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

My computer appears to be running very slow. The problem is probably related to the hard disk. I have gone through the checklist on these forums, but the problem persists. (I checked for virusses and spyware. I did a disk check and defragmented it. I ran a registry cleaner.)

My Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop is 3.5 years old. I am running Windows XP Professional SP3. Processor is Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz. I have 2GB RAM.

Specific symptoms:

Right after a reboot, the computer runs smooth. Some of the cleanup I did actually has speed up a lot of actions.

The problems begin when I start hard disk activity (for example, transfering files from my external hard disk to my laptop hard disk).

I did a test:
- First, file transfer is 30 MB/s (writing on laptop hard disk). I waited a few minutes, not touching the laptop.
-Then I started moving the mouse a little, without even clicking anything. Right away, the transfer speed drops to below 2 MB/s.
- When I release the mouse and do nothing again, speed climbs to like max. 6 MB/s, then drops to 2 MB/s and keeps fluctuating between those limits. It does not appear to get back to 30 MB/s (perhaps it would if I waited half an hour).

Most of the time, any thing I do during file transfer is slow. For example:
- Opening Notepad. Once it is open, it opens quickly after I close it first.
- Opening Wordpad.
- "Save as" in Notepad/Wordpad

During slowdown, the hard disk activity indicator light (the cilinder shape) of my laptop is on constantly and I hear this typical sound that I can describe accurately. It's the normal sound when the computer is doing something, and I assume it is hard disk activity (as it goes together with that indicator). But during slowdown, this sound is occuring for an extended period.

During slowdown, CPU use is far from 100% and memory is not full either (more like 600-900/3423MB).

Slowdown does not only happen when I start transfering files. Opening Notepad/Wordpad sometimes takes like 30 seconds even if I'm not transfering files. During those 30 seconds, the cilinder light indicator is flashing heavily and I hear the accompanying sound.

Is there anyone who could clarify the problem? Is it hardware related? Perhaps my hard drive has reached the end of its lifetime, but it would be good if I could make sure that's the real cause before I buy a new laptop (I guess I'd just buy a new one since it's 3.5 years old already).

I'll be happy to provide more information or test results. Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

You've run chkdsk /r command (or the equivalent)?

Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html

Put checkmarks in both options.

You might also want to defrag, after the chkdsk has completed and the system has rebooted into XP.

Louis

#3 Garfinator

Garfinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I had run it with both options checked and followed by a defrag.

Alexander

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

I guess that I would run a hard drive diagnostic on the disk...just to be sure that the integrity has not been compromised.

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 Garfinator

Garfinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't notice anything particular in the Event Logs. I will try the HD diagnostic as soon as I get a writable CD :thumbsup:.

Cheers,
Alexander

#6 Garfinator

Garfinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

I tried the HD diagnostic. It did not seem to find anything. However, my computer seems to be working faster again. Maybe using the all the cleanup tools a couple of times more resolved the main issues...

Thank you for your assistance!

Alexander

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users