Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading torrents

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andybhoy

andybhoy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:33 AM

Hi

I have been downloading torrent files (predominantly music) for a few years now and have never had any problems with infections. Whenever I download a torrent file I scan that file with anti-virus and anti-malware. These scans always come back OK.

I read in various forums that torrent files are risky and open up your computer to attack. My PC knowledge is fairly elementary so I am unable to confirm if that is the case. Generally, before I download torrents I check the comment box to say what other users have say about the file as their comments are a good indicator of the quality of the torrent.

Based on my own experience, I would say that downloading torrents is safe provided a cautious approach is adopted as described above.

What do others think? Any notable experiences would be useful.

Cheers

andybhoy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Smitty09

Smitty09

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

yeah i agree with you i also heard that its unsafe but i havent had a problem (that i know of) yet with downloading torrents...which downloader do you use? utorrent?
Posted Image

#3 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Apart from this being a way to get your compter infected, it is also illegal, I suggest you read the information below.

Peer-to-Peer Programs Warning
In today's world cyber crime has come to an enormous dimension and any means is used to infect personal computers to make use of their stored data or machine power for further propagation of the malware files. A popular means is the use of file-sharing tools as a tremendous amount of prospective victims can be reached through it.

It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading manipulated files via peer-to-peer tools and thus suggested to be used with intense care. Some further readings on this subject, along the included links, are as follows: File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

It is also important to note that sharing entertainment files and proprietary software infringes the copyright laws in many countries over the world and you are putting yourself at risk of being indicted through organizations watching over the rights of the authors of such files (i.e. the RIAA for music files, or the MPAA for movie files in the USA) or the authors of the files themselves.

Syler

unite.jpg

#4 andybhoy

andybhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

Cheers for the reply Syler ;)

Peer-to-Peer Programs Warning
In today's world cyber crime has come to an enormous dimension and any means is used to infect personal computers to make use of their stored data or machine power for further propagation of the malware files. A popular means is the use of file-sharing tools as a tremendous amount of prospective victims can be reached through it.

It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading manipulated files via peer-to-peer tools and thus suggested to be used with intense care.

Can you therefore only get infected by downloading and running an infected file, or are you vulnerable to get attacked whilst the file is in the process of downloading. If say you didn't have a firewall?

I ask this question because I am currently using vuze (formerly Azereus) to D/L my files. When I exit the application (vuze) my firewall (comodo) starts to block a number of intrusion attempts. Comodo indicates that it blocked attempts to access the windows operating system (through destination port 33913). Comodo shows that it is blocking an IP address (that was connected to me through Vuze) from carrying out this action.

This to me seems pretty dodgy, and each time it happens, I terminate the connection with comodo.

Do you have any thoughts / input on this, or can anyone else shed any light?

Then help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

#5 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

I have been downloading torrent files (predominantly music) for a few years now and have never had any problems with infections.

Here is an example from someone I have just been dealing with in the HijackThis forum, an infected music file :thumbsup:
and unfortunately that isn't rare.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.EyanOwen\My Documents\Downloads\Madonna Ft Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes (Mp3 Single).zip Infected: Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen 1

I ask this question because I am currently using vuze (formerly Azereus) to D/L my files. When I exit the application (vuze) my firewall (comodo) starts to block a number of intrusion attempts. Comodo indicates that it blocked attempts to access the windows operating system (through destination port 33913). Comodo shows that it is blocking an IP address (that was connected to me through Vuze) from carrying out this action.

The basic answer is yes they will still try to connect even after exiting them and this could take a while to stop. If you don't want to
have to worry about these kind of things don't use them!

unite.jpg

#6 andybhoy

andybhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

Cheers for the feedback Syler.

A simple solution :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic