Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4500S upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffholman

jeffholman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4500S and I want to upgrade it.

There isn't supposed to be room in the case for a second hard drive according to my manual, but I've read a couple of places about people working around this and mounting it other places. I'm up to this challenge, but still no clear instructions were given. Any suggestions?

Also, my manual says I have capacity for 2 gigs or RAM, but most websites say I only have capacity for 1.024 G of RAM. Any reasons for the discrepency?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:07 AM

Yes you can mount a second hd to where a cd rom is supposed to be or (ive done this a few times ) turn it upside down and leve it laying on the bottom of the case. Wont hurt it.

as for the ram, go HERE To find out how much ram you can put in there and what tpye you need

#3 jeffholman

jeffholman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:26 AM

as for the ram, go HERE To find out how much ram you can put in there and what tpye you need

Yeah, it says my max is 1024 MB, but my manual says 2 Gigs.

Thx for the advice about the HD. Got any resources for real noobs like me about what to do about installation and the whole slave/master thing? Is it possible for my new HD and my old to both be master?

Also, how do I find out if my motherborad is Ultra/ATA100 capable or just 66?

Edited by jeffholman, 06 July 2005 - 03:26 AM.

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

Well you can have both being master. What I do is take the jumpers off my hard drives and make them cable select., as for your system download This Program, it will tell you evrything you want to know about your pc. Just make sure to make a reprt so you can save it

Edit here is what crucial also said about the Dell

(Keep in mind that sometimes BIOS updates and other hardware configurations can alter memory recommendations.)

Edited by gilmour, 06 July 2005 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users