Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specific 3D Programs Cause System to Freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jasumi

Jasumi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

Hello.

I've been dealing with this issue for some time, hoping I can find a solution.

----------------------

Issue:

Starting up Poser 7, Daz3DStudio, and Blender causes my entire system to lock up. My only option is to perform a hard reboot and restart. I can not even open the program to change settings because by then my system is hanging. The farthest I have ever gone is the loading screen. lol Always freezes at the same point as well.

In Poser 7, a few seconds after the loading screen appears (it freezes).

In Daz3D and Blender, immediately after double-clicking the desktop icons (it freezes).

While I can load and enter 3DS Max 2009, rendering a Reactor scene results in a freeze.

Possible Suspects:

-OpenGL related
-I have 3 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ (including 2005 and 2008). One is a 32-bit program and I have a 64-bit machine. Possible conflict?
-Bad Drivers

Unsuspecting:

--Faulty Hardware. I can play high-end games with no issue.

My System Specifications:
E8400 @ 3.0ghz
Sony DVD-RW
Western Digital 500gb HDD
HIS Radeon HD3870x2
Patriot 4gb @ 800mhx 4-4-4-12
Gigabyte DS3L
Rosewill 600w
Raidmax Smilodon
Windows Vista x64

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Your suspicion that an opengl problem is the cause probably the most likely. though faulty or overheating graphics could be an issue also.

Check your graphics card opengl settings in catalyst.
I notice that you cannot get into several programs anyway, so see if there is a graphics safe mode so you can get into them. You will have to check on the vendors websites if such a mode exists.

In your 3DSMax go into the opengl/display options and try lowering the display options to their lowest and go from there increasing each setting until you get a crash. (Thats if it fixes it in the first place)

I am not familiar with these pieces of software anymore as I am a core Lightwave user so I would not know if they exist or where this options would be, but I am guessing there should be.

Also totally uninstall the existing catalyst drivers and re-install the latest drivers from scratch. Check the change logs of the drivers to see if any issues have been raised.

Do all of the above software support x64? Are they 32bit processes that require 32bit opengl drivers? if so there may be an issue there, but this again is just pure guess work!
Have a look and see if there are any specific opengl driver updates for x64.

Let me know how you get on!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users