Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer sharing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Delaine

Delaine

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

I want to share my lexmark on my pc with my new Vista laptop. I have a wireless d link router. I would appreciate anyones help. I had it working and can't figure out how i did it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hi Delaine

Easiest way is standard sharing in windows but the main computer the printer is hooked up to must be booted up but not neccessarily loggedin!

To do this do the following:

On the computer with the printer (based on windows xp vista may differ but im not at home so cannot verify this till later):

Start Menu>Printers and Faxes (if it does not show in the start menu go through the control panel)

Right mouse clilck the printer you wish to share
Left click...you guessed it the "Sharing..." option in the menu

Change the option from "Do not share this printer" to "Share this printer"
Give the printer a recongniseable name

click apply/ok (im on a domain here so my screen may not show the same exactly as yours)

Now the printer is shared you need to add the printer to your vista laptop, Control Panel, Printers and faxes

Add new priinter
Network printer

Now you will need to tell it where your printer is which will be something like:

\\mydesktoppc\myprintername

replace the word mydesktoppc with the name of your desktop pc
replace the word myprintername with the name you gave in the sharing section previousley

then follow the prompts, you may need a new driver download to support vista though.

These are not exact instructions as my pc here at work is in a domain and the options differ, and also my vista pc is at home so i cannot 100% verify the vista add printer routine, but it should be close enough to get you through it, if not holler again and i will see what i can do for you!

Let me know if this fixes your problem!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users